Sound Off

Sound Off: FSHS cleaning

My daughter tells me the classrooms at Free State High School rarely get cleaned and vacuumed unless the teachers actually do it. Has the district considered contracting with an outside company to get this work done?

Julie Boyle, the Lawrence school district’s communications director, said the district has regular cleaning schedules for all classrooms. The district employs a custodial staff that has 73.5 full-time positions. Anyone with a concern about cleanliness may contact the school principal.

Comments

windex 2 years ago

The implication is that the school's custodians could get the job done if they just worked hard enough. Where do we get the idea that private sector employees, given insufficient resources and an impossible task would do a better job than public sector employees given insufficient resources and an impossible task?

DoUntoOthers 2 years ago

That averages out to 3 custodians per building. Why can't they do basic cleaning of each room each day? Why is the school district's response to contact the principal? This only gets some parent (and their child) cross-wise with the school when the principal and administrators just need to step up and expect the custodial crew to work hard for a full day each and every day. Is that too much to ask?

MarcoPogo 2 years ago

So the custodians that are there during the day should just go waltzing into in-session classrooms and vacuum away? Your expertise of how these tasks are actually performed leads me to believe that your background knowledge of custodial duties is limited to Schneider and Bookman (aka Buffalo Butt).

repaste 2 years ago

There are not 3 full time custodians at any Bldg. I've been in, I do not know about Admin. Bldg. I don't know how quick you can clean a classroom, 40 -60 rooms, Gyms, lunchrooms, outside, areas, set-ups, hallways, . . . math.

kernal 2 years ago

There are school districts where the students clean their classrooms due to loss of funding for adequate janitorial staff. It won't kill students to learn how to use a broom and dust rag. It might teach some of them to clean up after themselves.

FlintHawk 2 years ago

One. Whether or not there are "3 custodians per building," they can only clean when the classroom is empty. So, basically, not during school hours?

Two. The question is a good example of why I take "reports" from my 17-year old Free State student with a dose of skepticism. If it's important (the report), I question him closely and then follow up with the school. Not the LJW.

Three. One recent report from said student that did check out was a sad tale of daily gross graffiti in the bathrooms. Every day, day after day. The custodians clean it up; it's back the next day. I'm thinking they earn their pay.

Sheila Hooper White 2 years ago

I may be a little biased on this one but obviously some are doing their jobs. The horror stories that I hear on a nightly basis, never cease to amaze me. I don't know how many stories I've heard where students have taken there bodily fluids and smeared them all over the bathrooms or other areas they don't belong. Or how many calls we've received at 2 am b/c the alarm is going off, the times we've been called at home b/c someone left the purse and really need it. It's not as easy a job as everyone thinks. Just like any job, there are people who don't really work hard and there are those who work their butts off day after day.

Take a few minutes to read the article and see how his co-workers feel about him. He's hard a working man and I appreciate all that he does for our family. http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2012/apr...