Sound Off

Sound Off: I recently have gone past Baldwin Junction and noticed they are building a strange little round building in a fenced area, and I just wanted to know what that building is for.

Kimberly Qualls, public affairs manager for the Kansas Department of Transportation, said KDOT was adding a winter road treatment yard at Baldwin Junction in association with the upgrading of U.S. Highway 59 to four lanes from Lawrence to Ottawa. The project will add 22 new lane miles to U.S. 59, which will now total 44 lane miles. The yard at the southwest corner of U.S. 56 and 59 includes a circular salt dome, a sand bunker, a storage shed for a loader and a 10,000-gallon tank for salt brine.

Comments

blue73harley 1 year, 7 months ago

Dang! I thought it was an indoor shooting range being built for people who had whiny neighbors.

Or possibly Baldwin's answer to the proposed Larryville mega-rec center.

budwhysir 1 year, 7 months ago

wow all this debate over a building on the highway brings out the worry in all of you, but if I mention a change in the color wheel, no one seems to care.

Julie Craig 1 year, 7 months ago

Is there a place for skinny dipping?

majorfunding 1 year, 7 months ago

My intensive research conducted within the many secret scientific research facilities here in the midwest, has provided me with with factual updates to the useless data from MIT.

So i can now announce that the updated, cutting edge and Repub endorsed truth, is beyond all doubt that blue and red will never reproduce any color at all, whenever the base colors have passed thru those tubes, inside that building, while the building was afraid. You see, dome buildings have a natural ability to spasm the tubes within.

OTOH, if the dome shaped building secretly enjoys being filled with salt and sand, the tubes will not spasm and the colors will mix and a sometimes horrid color will exude and spray all over, thus allowing the whole world to see the building's shame, and burden of embarrassment for the rest of that dome's life.

Ya know, at first i too thought the building's contraction was strange. It was almost like it was constructed in such a way to have guilt. But that was way back when i thought every architect tried to create good buildings which only required a bit of proper maintenance to last many many years. and bring happiness to everyone who sought shelter.

But now i know better. I now know that two factors are involved. One is that there are many many people who started out nice, but became twisted and judgmental, They have lost the ability to reason and just do not like any building which contains those nasty tubes. Oh, you are wondering just what created those twisted unhappy hurtful people? Well of course their sad twists were corrosions provided by the same horrible and twisted architect who corroded the people who attacked the buildings in the first place.

Beauty surrounds us, but some corroded people were twisted by the dark side when they were young.

Oh yeah... GREEN.

foggydew 1 year, 7 months ago

Why has yesterday's Sound Off about an school administrator's kid bullying another kid been taken off the feed? Monday's is there. Today's is there. ??

riverdrifter 1 year, 7 months ago

Actually, it's the new portal to hell. The old one over at Stull had gotten run down at the heels and was getting little use and Satan was complaining. The old portal will be redecorated and will be the new Kansas Drivers License office.

jhwk4evr 1 year, 7 months ago

blue and red don't make green.....................................................................

budwhysir 1 year, 7 months ago

blue and red make green,,,, but why, why I ask you Why

g_rock 1 year, 7 months ago

That is a great umbrella. In space. I think that may attract the aliens more than anything....

oldbaldguy 1 year, 7 months ago

great stuff. i actually thought it may be a portal for time travel or an entry point to oz.

g_rock 1 year, 7 months ago

What would a space ship tow truck look like? No reason for asking...

CWGOKU 1 year, 7 months ago

A 10,000 gallon tank of salt brine would be good for soaking briskets and ribs in before cooking them. Makes a good tenderizer. Take them apple sized testys to Hollywood and make adult movies.

somedude20 1 year, 7 months ago

If your testicles are the size of apples, should you see a doctor?

paul85 1 year, 7 months ago

Dear Sound Off:

I want to know what my neighbor is doing when his front door is closed and shades drawn. I think he may be doing something illegal or just possibly living, but I just have to know what is going on in there so I know if he is a threat to me or my family. While it is none of my business, I just really need to know what is going on in his house and eagerly await your reply.

Thanks -- Concerned Citizen.

classclown 1 year, 7 months ago

It's best that you don't ask questions. Just drive by and act like you don't see anything.

Dolph4 1 year, 7 months ago

Actually, we are building a deep, deep pit to bury everyone who thinks their terrible opinions matter.