Sound Off

Sound off: Can you tell us what the safest and the lawful use of a roundabout is for bicyclists and motorists? I often find myself on my bike at the 19th Street and Barker Avenue roundabout when it is busiest. Drivers sometimes stop to allow me to enter. I know this is a hazard. How do bicyclists and motorists navigate safely?

Megan Gilliland, a city of Lawrence spokeswoman, said generally there are three options for bicyclists. The best one is up to the rider’s experience and level of comfort. • Ride like a car: If you are comfortable riding in traffic, ride on the circulatory roadway of the roundabout like a car. Obey all of the same driving instructions as for cars. • Walk like a pedestrian: If you are uncomfortable riding in traffic and no special separate facility is provided, dismount and exit the approach lane before the splitter island on the approach, and move to the sidewalk. Once on the sidewalk, walk your bicycle like a pedestrian. • Use a shared bicycle-pedestrian path: Some roundabouts may have a ramp that leads to a widened sidewalk or a shared bicycle-pedestrian path that runs around the perimeter of the roundabout. Be courteous to pedestrians and yield to them.

Comments

jesse499 1 year, 11 months ago

That sign that says (YELD) means if the car in front of you goes throuh the guy to your right has the next turn not that you blast on behind him if people took their turn at roundabout like they should there wouldn't be a problem. I've been at this roundabout in a car and the people on 19th wouldn't stop to give you your turn If they new what the (YELD) sign ment and followed it no problem. With no Drivers Ed.in schools anymore this is what you get.

David Dunlap 1 year, 11 months ago

"The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion or ethnic background, is that we all believe we are above-average drivers." Dave Barry

purplesage 1 year, 11 months ago

Get a D-8 Cat to lead the way and get rid of the lousy thing. Do us all a favor

JustNoticed 1 year, 11 months ago

I ride a bike. I follow the rules of the road, especially right of way. So don't think you're doing anyone a favor when you don't do the same, like when you sit there at a stop sign when it's your turn and try to wave me through. All you do is create dangerous confusion.

ShePrecedes 1 year, 11 months ago

I simply WISH deeply that bicyclists would follow the rules of the road ! !

They are not likely to live thru an altercation with a moving vehicle. It sure would be nice if they could at least extend some self-preservation by signaling a turn and stop running stop signs and red lights!

I have come to hate bicyclists because they are always breaking the law.

They are such a traffic hazard!

I vote for letting them ride the sidewalks only.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 1 year, 11 months ago

You should put a bucket on the back of your bicycle so you have somewhere to poo.

weiser 1 year, 11 months ago

Bicyclists have rules? I never knew that! I don't believe I have ever seen any of them follow any rules in this town.

kernal 1 year, 11 months ago

Per an earlier Soundoff question, bicyclists can ride their bikes on sidewalks when there is not heavy pedestrian use. In other words, don't ride them on the sidewalks downtown.

Here's an idea for LJW. Since it seems Kansans no longer have to take the driver's license written test after they take it the first time, providing they renew their license before it expires, how about posting rules of the road from that manual one day a week to remind people what those rules are. Seems to be a mass cognitive memory lapse of those in Lawrence.

budwhysir 1 year, 11 months ago

sounds to me like everyone is talking in circles around here. The real problem is not that the rounabout is there, its that you have to use it when you come to it.

asixbury 1 year, 11 months ago

Roundabouts are pretty easy to navigate. But I guess you have to have a brain to do it, and it seems a lot of people may be lacking in that area. I prefer roundabouts to stoplights any day; they’re much quicker. On a bike: ride on the sidewalk through the intersection, if possible, and you won't have to worry about getting hit by a non-observant driver.

RoeDapple 1 year, 11 months ago

Roundabouts cause premature sidewall wear.

CWGOKU 1 year, 11 months ago

I don't care for roundabouts

pace 1 year, 11 months ago

I have the same question about the roundabouts since they started being installed. What ignorant, do nothing, person or department is in charge of the community education on helping the community who have to drive the things. I have watched, and seems sound off, the occasional rare ticket combined with wrecks and near misses is the education package designed by the city.

budwhysir 1 year, 11 months ago

I was concerened about this problem too but I see someone has taken care of it for me. You see someone let the air out of my tires, and I walked my bike to the gas station to get air, but now they charge you for air and I dont have pockets in my suit I wear for riding. So, now I just push my bike everywhere I go

verity 1 year, 11 months ago

"I can' t believe you ride through a roundabout. Thats crazy dangerous."

Pretty much. It may be legal, but it ain't smart.

I agree that the crap blocking one's view has no place in a roundabout. It's much safer to be able to see clearly.

jerice43 1 year, 11 months ago

The main problem with roundabouts is the drivers speeding up to beat the next guy. If we would all slow down, a lot of problems would be solved.

57chevy 1 year, 11 months ago

I would move immediately to a state such as Iowa or Wisconsin where bicyclists have rights. Here, you can get mowed down in a hit-and-run accident by a drunk and he gets off scott-free. I can' t believe you ride through a roundabout. Thats crazy dangerous. About the same as calling the police to your own house and telling them you're emotionally upset.

evilpenguin 1 year, 11 months ago

If people even knew how to work a roundabout while driving a car, things would be a whole lot easier. Yield to any vehicles coming from your left, regardless of whether they are car, bike, moped etc. I don't know how many times people have just sped right in when I am right at their road. Roundabouts are a great idea to keep traffic flowing, but most drivers don't seem to know how to operate one.

skinny 1 year, 11 months ago

How about the bicyclist use the sidewalk or the bike paths! Let’s see, a 3500 pound car vs a 140 bicyclist, who do you think is going to win?? A little common sense!

thuja 1 year, 11 months ago

If drivers would just see bicycles as other cars, albeit slower-moving, a lot of these issues would resolve themselves.

ibroke 1 year, 11 months ago

as long as you have plastic (and parents) you have unlimited money

geekin_topekan 1 year, 11 months ago

If my bank account says Zero but I still have checks left, can i still get money?

Curtis Lange 1 year, 11 months ago

lol, there are some dumb questions. The 'stamp prices went up; are my forever rate stamps still good' question is still my favorite.

JackMcKee 1 year, 11 months ago

I fully expect to see a question like this in the near future. When I use my oven the pans get hot. Can you tell me the best way to get them out without frying my skin off?

This might be the worst section of any newspaper ever concrieved.

psycho_theclown 1 year, 11 months ago

All vehicles should use their signals if they're turning at roundabouts. It's still a left turn or a right turn. And the city should remove all the crap in the middle of roundabouts that prevent a clear view through the intersection; it would be nice to know ahead of time that there are pedestrians crossing on the other side.