Sound Off

Sound Off: What’s the number to call to stop telemarketers from calling my phone?

To register for the no-call list, call 888-382-1222, or go online to ag.ks.gov/consumer-protection/no-call-act. However, the list does not exempt consumers from being called for political or charitable donations, according to the Kansas Attorney General’s Office.

Comments

JackMcKee 1 year, 11 months ago

Here's my Sound Off, why is every banner ad on this site for an obvious ripoff?

Jane 1 year, 11 months ago

If the caller ID says 'unknown' or is a number not in my phone, I don't answer the call. If it is important, they will leave a message. Usually those unknowns stop calling after 2-3 calls that go unanswered.

rockchalker52 1 year, 11 months ago

I tell them I'm a Jayhawk & only give to Kansas Troopers, not Kansas State Troopers. Those 'final notice on your credit card' people need stopped, jailed & sentenced to hard labor.

autie 1 year, 11 months ago

Hi, this is Bob with the Kansas State Troopers Association...ha ha..no, you're not in trouble. Can we count../click/

We need a no call for charity and political crapola.

nomorebobsplease 1 year, 11 months ago

Too true about Jenkins. Do y'all also get the mailings? I've wondered a couple of times how much of our tax money she spends trying to convince us she's doing a great job representing our interests (that's a discussion for another day) I do have fun with the "political survey" calls, tho. From the get-go you can figure out which party they're from and what their agenda is. I actually enjoy giving them my answers.....

naturalist 1 year, 11 months ago

How does one get Lynn Jenkins to leave people alone? I get more phone calls from her association at home on the landline--no, I don't answer but they leave messages--than from any other political or charitable organization.

verity 1 year, 11 months ago

Since I got rid of my land line and only have a cell phone, I don't get many telemarketers.

However, if the call is from an area code starting with an eight, I just don't answer. They can leave a message if it is legitimate. I'll sometimes get a number of calls from the same number, but eventually they give up.

Surely most of you have caller ID and can screen calls. You don't have to answer just because the phone rings.

tir 1 year, 11 months ago

I get the cruise scam and the "lower your rates" scam calls all the time and report them to the do not call website, but the calls never stop--they just keep changing their phone numbers.There's also a so-called "charity" that has been calling me multiple times per day, including on SUNDAY (may they rot). There should be a law forbidding charities, non-profits, survey takers and political action groups and parties from calling any phone number more than ONCE per day. And furthermore, NO ONE should be allowed to pester people on weekends with unwanted calls.

its_just_math 1 year, 11 months ago

Answer it, and when they ask for whomever it is they are looking for, just say, "Sure, that's my (fill in the blank) hold on I'll get (whomever you've named)" lay down the phone and just leave it. I know it may not solve the problem but you've just really irritated the caller when they sit there on hold for however long they decide to wait.

jonas_opines 1 year, 11 months ago

I've found that the most effective button to push when talking to telemarketers is that one that, ya'know, ends the call.

That's when I'm in a bad mood. When I'm in a good mood I like playing with them a little bit.

That college kid on the other end, who's trying to make ends meet with a parasitic job that at least 70% of them hate like fire, would prefer you to just hang up on them, too.

Ribs61 1 year, 11 months ago

You can opt out of direct mailings and many other things. Here is a link;

riverdrifter 1 year, 12 months ago

www.donotcall.gov works very well for me.

pace 1 year, 12 months ago

The credit card services calls me about every other day. Sometimes I connect to their punch 1, and take up their time. Always saying they must take me off their calling number. They just hang up, and call again. I know the AG is busy defending goofy law and fighting the federal law, but it would be nice if he did his job on consumer fraud and internet fraud. It doesn't bother Koch that I get these calls, it just bothers me. The AG has no plans to do squat for the ordinary rights of Kansans.

none2 1 year, 12 months ago

"No call" isn't worth squat. I've gotten so many calls from "___ from your credit card company needs to talk to you..." It's a scam, but no one seems to have the power to stop it.