Sound Off

Sound Off: What’s the number to call to stop telemarketers from calling my phone?

To register for the no-call list, call 888-382-1222, or go online to ag.ks.gov/consumer-protection/no-call-act. However, the list does not exempt consumers from being called for political or charitable donations, according to the Kansas Attorney General’s Office.

Comments

pace 2 years, 7 months ago

That was a useful link. It gave directions and a place to file a complaint. I am sure I will have opportunity to follow the directions and I will file a complaint.

pace 2 years, 7 months ago

The credit card services calls me about every other day. Sometimes I connect to their punch 1, and take up their time. Always saying they must take me off their calling number. They just hang up, and call again. I know the AG is busy defending goofy law and fighting the federal law, but it would be nice if he did his job on consumer fraud and internet fraud. It doesn't bother Koch that I get these calls, it just bothers me. The AG has no plans to do squat for the ordinary rights of Kansans.

LadyJ 2 years, 7 months ago

Your lucky, they tell me off before they hang up on me.

riverdrifter 2 years, 7 months ago

p>www.donotcall.gov works very well for me.

chocolateplease 2 years, 7 months ago

Really? We're on it, but we still get at least a dozen calls per week.

Ribs61 2 years, 7 months ago

You can opt out of direct mailings and many other things. Here is a link;

jonas_opines 2 years, 7 months ago

I've found that the most effective button to push when talking to telemarketers is that one that, ya'know, ends the call.

That's when I'm in a bad mood. When I'm in a good mood I like playing with them a little bit.

That college kid on the other end, who's trying to make ends meet with a parasitic job that at least 70% of them hate like fire, would prefer you to just hang up on them, too.

deec 2 years, 7 months ago

Exactly. I've worked in call centers, both inbound and outbound. The jobs are horrible, and most people just work there for because they are desperate for a paycheck. Please be civil. If you speak to them, in many cases you must distinctly state that you are not interested and to please remove your name. Just saying no or being rude will not usually get your number removed. The calls are computer dialed, so the agent usually has no control over whether you are called multiple times.

verity 2 years, 7 months ago

My guess would be that approaching 100% of the telemarketers hate their job and are just trying to survive. They will be out of there as soon as they can find something else. I agree with deec that if one chooses to answer, then be civil and don't make their life any more miserable than it already is.

Now, political calls are a completely different matter.

tir 2 years, 7 months ago

I get the cruise scam and the "lower your rates" scam calls all the time and report them to the do not call website, but the calls never stop--they just keep changing their phone numbers.There's also a so-called "charity" that has been calling me multiple times per day, including on SUNDAY (may they rot). There should be a law forbidding charities, non-profits, survey takers and political action groups and parties from calling any phone number more than ONCE per day. And furthermore, NO ONE should be allowed to pester people on weekends with unwanted calls.

verity 2 years, 7 months ago

Since I got rid of my land line and only have a cell phone, I don't get many telemarketers.

However, if the call is from an area code starting with an eight, I just don't answer. They can leave a message if it is legitimate. I'll sometimes get a number of calls from the same number, but eventually they give up.

Surely most of you have caller ID and can screen calls. You don't have to answer just because the phone rings.

naturalist 2 years, 7 months ago

How does one get Lynn Jenkins to leave people alone? I get more phone calls from her association at home on the landline--no, I don't answer but they leave messages--than from any other political or charitable organization.

Ragingbear 2 years, 7 months ago

+10. I think Lynn needs a Federal Probe as to how tax money is being used to further a political agenda and re-election campaign. I get 3-5 calls a month from her office. The caller ID claims that it comes from a government office. Either she is lying, or using tax money. Either way, it's illegal.

nomorebobsplease 2 years, 7 months ago

Too true about Jenkins. Do y'all also get the mailings? I've wondered a couple of times how much of our tax money she spends trying to convince us she's doing a great job representing our interests (that's a discussion for another day) I do have fun with the "political survey" calls, tho. From the get-go you can figure out which party they're from and what their agenda is. I actually enjoy giving them my answers.....

rockchalker52 2 years, 7 months ago

I tell them I'm a Jayhawk & only give to Kansas Troopers, not Kansas State Troopers. Those 'final notice on your credit card' people need stopped, jailed & sentenced to hard labor.

JackMcKee 2 years, 7 months ago

Here's my Sound Off, why is every banner ad on this site for an obvious ripoff?

JackMcKee 2 years, 7 months ago

What makes "Tax Resolution Services" the "number 1 tax company resolution in America"? I would just love to see that claim backed up with facts. If they're like the rest of these companies what they're #1 at is ripping people off.