Sound Off

Sound Off: Where can I take corroded ammunition for disposal?

City spokeswoman Megan Gilliland said the Lawrence Police Department will take old ammunition for disposal. Anyone needing this service can contact the department by calling Douglas County dispatch at 785-832-7509 or taking it to the law enforcement center at 111 E. 11th St.

Comments

RoeDapple 2 years ago

I have fired 1907 manufactured .30-40 Krag that looked good and still went through the chronograph at 1950fps. I have seen .38 special stored in an unheated garage less than five years old that was nothing but junk, brass and lead showing major corrosion. When they say "Store in a cool, dry place" that says it all.

headdoctor 2 years ago

One does wonder where they were keeping this stuff. There is WW2, Korean, and Vietnam era rounds that still work fine. There were tons of the large sardine cans 2 to a case of 7.62x39 Vietnam era rounds stored out in the jungle that still work great. You just have to make sure you clean the bore often because they are made with corrosive powder which is also why it is still good as well as being sealed in the cans.

RoeDapple 2 years ago

autie (anonymous) says… "pull the bullets and melt them down for sinkers."

Or pull the bullets and melt them down for . . . new bullets!

otto 2 years ago

They do what autie said, burn some stuff, go fishing and recycle the brass to buy beer, it's a win win.

Sharfire 2 years ago

Take it to the local police station?

RoeDapple 2 years ago

Yup. I have one of those green plastic "inertia" bullet extractors. Every time I hammer a round apart I wonder if it will be the last . . .

autie 2 years ago

pull the bullets and melt them down for sinkers. Dump the powder out on ant hills or anything else that might look pretty burning...and set it off. Pop the cap and sell the brass at the salvage yard...duh...

Flap Doodle 2 years ago

Drive it to the KC airport & leave it sitting in a parking lot. (I didn't say that)

RoeDapple 2 years ago

A friend was showing me his German Luger his father brought home as a war trophy. He said his dad only shot it twice when he got back to the states. The clip was still loaded, less 2 rounds. I will let him know.

Also, due to my interest in all things "projectile", for years people have given me bullets that were just "laying around", thinking I would know what to do with them. This seems a much better alternative to throwing them in the burn barrel. (Forget I said that. And don't try this at home. I'm a professional.)

oldvet 2 years ago

Who in their right mind lets ammo get corroded? Shoot it up and replace it with new ammo before it gets to that point. And take care of what you have. I'm still shooting military '68 headstamps in my M-1.

psycho_theclown 2 years ago

when I was a kid, we put pennies on the railroad track.

forget I mentioned it