Sound Off

Sound Off: Where can I dispose of old medications?

At certain times during the year, the Lawrence Police Department, Douglas County Sheriff’s Office and the Drug Enforcement Administration coordinate a Drug Take-Back Event. Megan Gilliland, communications manager for the city, said the next event will be 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. April 28 at the Judicial and Law Enforcement Center, 111 E. 11th St., and at the Investigations and Training Center, 4820 Bob Billings Parkway. This service is free and anonymous. All prescription medications can be taken at this event, including controlled narcotics. Additionally, Gilliland said Douglas County residents can properly dispose of pharmaceuticals year-round through the City of Lawrence/Douglas County Household Hazardous Waste Facility. The facility operates by appointment only and residents can call 832-3030 to schedule a drop-off time. This facility cannot accept controlled or narcotic substances, such as prescription painkillers like Percocet, or others such as Xanax.


Commenting has been disabled for this item.