Sound Off

Sound Off: It appears two people are living in trailers parked on Massachusetts Street in front of South Park and the police station. Can you please explain the legality of this situation?

In nonresidentially zoned areas of Lawrence, such as the strip of parking on Massachusetts Street in front of South Park, city ordinances allow people to park large vehicles — defined as a vehicle more than 20 feet long and 8 feet tall — for 48 hours at a time. So, as long as the trailers are moved every two days, it’s legal. Last November, the Journal-World printed a feature story on two people living in such structures. The article can be found here.

Comments

shanep 2 years ago

That's Rob O and Old Nirvana. Both great characters. You should talk to them some time.

Aiko 2 years ago

I noticed on Sunday the City provides them with a house/car wash with the lawn sprinklers.

RogersState80 2 years ago

This sounds good. This article has inspired me to park a trailer on Mass Ave. Does anyone know if its a DWI if I kick back and have a couple beers in the trailer? Maybe if I sit out in a couple lawn chairs on the pavement with my beer and cigar that would be better. This reminds me of when I lived in Oklahoma.

50YearResident 2 years ago

About this 48 hour parking rule, how long do you have to vacate the space before you can come back and re-claim the same spot? Are these two campers just exchanging spots at the end of the 48 hours? Here is the solution. Have two other local people with nice looking campers take the spots when the squaters have to vacate in 48 hours. Rotate these campers for several 48 hour cycles and see what becomes of the two ugly squater vehicles. Where will they go then? Will they come back?

JackMcKee 2 years ago

I drove by these yesterday and noticed the bucket was gone. Methinks these people read and post on this forum (probably under multiple aliases and from the free library computers). More than likely, every single post in favor of the vile lifestyle of these vagrants in either one of them or someone planning on joining them.

thuja 2 years ago

Why should one reject the perfect in favor of the imperfect? The precise and perfect carries no overtones, admits of no freedom; the perfect is static and regulated, cold and hard. We in our own human perfections are repelled by the perfect, since everything is apparent from the start and there is no suggestion of the infinite. Beauty must have some room, must be associated with freedom. Freedom, indeed, IS beauty. The love of the irregular is a sign of the basic quest for freedom.

Soetsu Yanagi

asixbury 2 years ago

Waa, waa, waa...boohoo...complain, complain, all about stupid things. Get a life!

Haiku_Cuckoo 2 years ago

I'll bet some of the people embracing this turd-wagon complained about the aesthetics of the Hobbs-Taylor lofts or the new apartment building on New Hampshire.

Flap Doodle 2 years ago

In days of old When knights were bold And toilets not invented They'd drop their load By the side of the road And go away contented.

JackMcKee 2 years ago

I think it's time for the city to revisit the 48 hour parking ordinance.

somedude20 2 years ago

Yeah, the other member of the CCC (Campers Could Careless) parks his ride in the church parking lot around 22nd and Mass. I will see it parked in the free lot behind Harbor Lights sometimes so it seems like he gets around (I believe it is the black dude who plays the buckets) and that is good for him. If I were in that position, I would want some privacy as well. I bet the last few weekends have been filled with drunks beating on those dude's home. Is trying to make people angry worth it? Not unless you really are trying to make a point. Keep in mind that there folks living right here in Lawrence in giant houses that they got by cheating on their taxes or pulling a Madoff or the many other ways that allow for it and that irks me more than some bum who is angry and parks in a parking spot at a public park

alcoholbliss 2 years ago

There are public places meant for public parking down towm, whether they are homeless or not!! As long as they are meeting the 48 hour parking rules, its not a problem.

Sickening that people here just want to single out others that don't or won't conform to their set of social thinking/living standards and hate just to hate.

FYI all Federal Clinton Lake side boat ramp restrooms were closed last week despite the nice weather and people out boating on the lake. So much for public campgrounds/boat ramps restrooms . Do you think that I used a bucket for my bodily functions? Think again, its now in the lake, (I'm sure that I'm not the only one) . But so as long as I don't own a shanty with a bucket hanging on it parked on Mass Street that all of Lawrence physically sees, its all okay.

Ace Cleaning 2 years ago

The demographics in Lawrence is what we should talking about not what’s in the bucket. Lawrence has some of the highest housing cost in the state as well as some of the highest percentage of people living in poverty. The guys living in Campers collecting disability on Mass are working just as hard as the trust funders in West Lawrence.

red66060 2 years ago

What it boils down to is not whether it's a pretty RV or whether they are homeless or not!! The fact of the matter is it's a public park not a public campground!! There are places meant for camping and it's not in the middle of town and I don't even live here and it bothers me!!!

waka3 2 years ago

dude are they hrutting u

thuja 2 years ago

When you drive by in your car complaining about the buckets, just remember that you are polluting the air.

Mike Ford 2 years ago

the immortal Genghis Khan looking dude on the skateboard rules!!!!!! as does the mick mars looking dude with the crazy beard and the bike and trailer.....

abit_pssd 2 years ago

I just shot a pellet gun with a large pellet that pierced a bucket.....

Dripping....Dripping....Dripping.....

Nice and sunny out this week.....Yummy....

CHEEZIT 2 years ago

Its their summer home! Their winter home is a van down by the river!

mrebeccapowers 2 years ago

If it's question of SURVIVAL; people, animals, and plants will do what they gotta do. If this offends you , you have no heart. If this excites you, you have too little to do. If this concerns you, then you have a heart. Don't judge others because others will judge you. How "pure" would you come out? Don't read a book by it's cover. 1177 Bunny Clue

Patricia Davis 2 years ago

I think think should not be viewed as a class or classless act. The bucket brigade needs to be investigated as a public health issue.

consumer1 2 years ago

Consider the trailer't to be "art" then you can really get into how cool it is to have a moving art display in our trendy little cutting edge city.

SofaKing 2 years ago

The trailers are beyond ugly. The park is pretty. The ugly trailers are in the way of the pretty park. That's all it is.

red66060 2 years ago

It has absolutely nothing to do whether they are homeless or not, it has to do with the fact that the public park is not a public campground!! There are many campgrounds all over that they can park and live without any offense to anyone else. Why do they feel it's necessary to live at the park in the first place, because they find it easier to see how many feathers they can ruffle instead of finding a less active place to park their vehicles and live so freely. I have no desire to help people who are not willing to help themselves!

Rick Aldrich 2 years ago

Didn't they use to call them squatters ?

JackMcKee 2 years ago

This guy has a bucket hanging on the back of his "home" that appears to be his toilet. There has to be at least 25 health code violations in and around that thing. The guy is a nuisance.

BobEllis 2 years ago

things were going pretty well ... then all the good people came along

Gary Anderson 2 years ago

IF Jesus ever returns, and only God knows why he would, he will return in the form of a homeless man wearing rags. This is what I believe. I paid a Vietnam era veteran's electric bill this weekend to keep his lights on. I am unemployed living in a mobile home park. Will he pay me back? I don't know and I don't care. What did you do this weekend?

geekin_topekan 2 years ago

I am offended by all those foreign cars parked on Mass street every single day. They park in front of the police station ta boot. WHere is the law?

Stacy Napier 2 years ago

You all do realize what those buckets at the back of his trailer are for don't you? It is gross, and unsanitary. Where do you think he dumps them?

And I thought Lawrence had an ordinance against camping on public property. That is what they are doing isn't it?

Floyd Craig 2 years ago

but yet the city is worried about an old eye sore at 11th and rhode island street but yet they wont do anything about the ugly motor home or that sorry built camping trailor uh make shift home ,hummmmmmm sonds like some one has thier hand out if they do something with the thing at 11th street they can make money from that

Jock Navels 2 years ago

actually, i asked the dude that lives in one of tee RV like thingys and he told me he has a nice house in a neighborhood that has a covenant against parking RVs and boats in driveways, so he has to park it on mass street where it's cool.

pace 2 years ago

We need the government to step in and make it illegal to even own a vehicle that offends anyone. Of course then all those SUVs would have to be tarped.

Charlie Sabotage 2 years ago

Who care's and does anyone actually know anything about the individual's who "live" in those vehicles? Did they cause trouble or were they snatching children from the park? Really, just something else for people with nothing else to do (except correct other people's grammar) to complain about. Oh, humanity.

thuja 2 years ago

Rock on, campers!

"Could it be that the true problem lies in the way you perceive these individuals?"

paperjam 2 years ago

+1, upvote, like, ect...

livinginlawrence 2 years ago

To all who are on here making snide remarks about the individuals' whose RVs are often seen parked on Mass. St.:

Please explain what it is about the RVs being parked where they are that offends you so. Exactly what makes you feel certain that you are any better than these folks?

Beer Guy 2 years ago

The opposite of a low life is a snob. Neither are desirable.

Rick Aldrich 2 years ago

in my eyes it's a slap in the face by our judicial system. i use to enjoying taking my daughters to that park to play and walk around the park. Now! not a chance. i think the redneck scenery makes me and my children feel uncomfortable. so keep up the great work low lifes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jjt 2 years ago

Long vehicle, in one case its a van and a trailer, not a vehicle, like say a semi. Also what is the bucket for, and does the bucket break a code somewhere? If it is what I think it is for then using the bucket in a public park area has to be against something.

Rick Aldrich 2 years ago

2nd thought lets all us working rent & house paying idiots move to Mass street, heck free rent i can dig it.

Rick Aldrich 2 years ago

then relocate them and their MOBILE homes to a trailer park then.

SofaKing 2 years ago

I vote to have South Park renamed South Trailer Park.

deec 2 years ago

Yes, god forbid someone should not owe a bank on a mortgage or a landlord rent every month. How dare they live a simple life free of utility bills. end sarcasm

Rick Aldrich 2 years ago

And I bet their protected by some idiotic law that says I can park my pile of crap where ever I want. That is as long as its not on the grass.

Rick Aldrich 2 years ago

Are they drawing welafare too?

uglyrumor 2 years ago

My wife and I were just asking each other about those vehicles the other day. After reading this I am happy to say that it answered both our questions. Thanks

Eride 2 years ago

If you are going to insist on posting this garbage article every day, at least start posting the NAMES of the individuals submitting questions. I think that might solve the problem of idiotic questions.