Sound Off

I saw someone from one of those critter companies trap a raccoon in east Lawrence, then put the trap in a bag and attach the bag to the exhaust pipe of the company’s truck. Is that the right way to euthanize an animal, even a raccoon?

“While the state of Kansas doesn’t prohibit the use of carbon monoxide as a way to kill ‘nuisance’ wildlife, we have an ethical obligation to reduce pain and distress to the greatest extent possible when taking an animal’s life,” said Dori Villalon, executive director of the Lawrence Humane Society. “Carbon monoxide works by displacing oxygen in the blood, starving vital organs and causing a slow and painful death. An injection of sodium pentobarbital, prepared specifically for use in animal euthanasia, has been deemed the preferred method of animal euthanasia by the Humane Society of the United States, the American Veterinary Medical Association, The ASPCA, American Humane Association, and the National Animal Control Association. “Of course, the most humane option, and the best example we can set for our children, is to peacefully co-exist with urban wildlife through humane management methods.”

Comments

oletimer 3 years, 4 months ago

Ethical obligation? Really? I see the new all knowing leader is not going to make any more sense then the gal they ran off. Sodium what? History books tell me that the most reliable method to put something down is called a gun. Been used for decades. Most folks have one or can borrow one. As for examples for our children. Common sense and letting them out in the real world with proper parental guidance and proper responsibility will do wonders.

BruceWayne 3 years, 4 months ago

I have heard of "someone" putting a bullet in the head of a rabid zebra. Anyone else remember when that happened?

acg 3 years, 4 months ago

I do remember that. I just quit working for that "rabid zebras" owner yesterday. Trust me, rabid zebras are the least of that particular person's issues. I learned things in the last 9 months that would curl your toes. Ick!!

RoeDapple 3 years, 4 months ago

I am peacefully co-existing with some mighty fine pork ribs as we speak.

pizzapete 3 years, 4 months ago

I would hope they might just release him back into the wild or perhaps send him some place like fhe nature preserve at Marys Lake. No reason to kill a raccoon unless you're going to be eating it.

grammaddy 3 years, 4 months ago

Raccoons are very territorial. We had to have a family of them removed from the attic of an apartment we lived in a few years ago. Critter control told us then that they have to release them 30 miles away or they will be right back.

sherbert 3 years, 4 months ago

Seems like they should do something like that out of sight of onlookers. That's horrible.

Chris Golledge 3 years, 4 months ago

So, it doesn't really matter what is done, as long as no one has to see it. An interesting perspective.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 4 months ago

I saw a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor.....

jd 3 years, 4 months ago

Why not take it out into the country and let it go?

gatekeeper 3 years, 4 months ago

Never call the "critter companies". They don't ever trap and release, they just kill.

everyone has to remember that we should co-exist with wildlife and we encroached on their territory.

Hopefully kharma will hit the A holes that like to torture little animals like a ton of bricks in the near future. What goes around comes around.

Chris Golledge 3 years, 4 months ago

Is 'euthanize' the best word for this?

Most commonly it means to end life in order to relieve suffering, and less commonly to end life painlessly.

I don't know that the animal was suffering before it was killed, or that its death was painless. I guess I object to the use of euphemism under these circumstances.

Chris Golledge 3 years, 4 months ago

But relative to the question, no. It's wrong to cause more suffering than necessary.

This method of killing was probably chosen because it is cheaper than a shot and less messy that a bullet to the brain. Any method has a risk of not going as planned, but I'd go with a bullet to the brain for the simple reason that I don't think it is painful because by the time the nerve impulses communicating tissue damage arrive, the brain is no longer capable of processing them.

gatekeeper 3 years, 4 months ago

You know what's cheaper and more humane? Release the critter just outside of town. No mess, very little cost (a little gas) and completely humane. Anyone that will heartlessly kill another living creature should also be "euthanized".

Chris Golledge 3 years, 4 months ago

In the long run it makes little difference to the number of animals. A given area can only support so many animals, and populations grow to fill the carrying capacity. So, adding another one mostly means that something else has to die.

But yeah, myself, I would have released it somewhere else if I had managed to get it trapped, and let nature sort it out.

Chris Golledge 3 years, 4 months ago

The question was, is this the right way to kill something, not, what else should have been done.

gatekeeper 3 years, 4 months ago

Heaven forbid I voice an opinion about killing an innocent animal that could have more easily been released in nature than killed. Are you the LJW police, making sure that only specifics answers are given in comments?

Kirk Larson 3 years, 4 months ago

Don't kill it if you ain't gonna eat it.

tbaker 3 years, 4 months ago

I saw a Racoon once....next to the mashed potatoes.

scott3460 3 years, 4 months ago

I'll bet some here would like to know which critter company engages in this practice.

Let the buying public decide whether they support tailpipe deaths.

50YearResident 3 years, 4 months ago

Some wild animals, by law can not be relocated in Kansas because of Rabies. I am not sure if a raccoon is one of them. Skunks might be. Anyway if they are on the list they have to be euthanized* by some means.

*Killed or put to death and disposed of properly.

pace 3 years, 4 months ago

I would add, if you live trap a rat, do not release it in the country. The farmer does not need your help. The rat is not a friend to farm or rural family life.How would you feel if farmers came to town and released rats in your yard? Nor do your cast off dogs or cats frolic free, they suffer, live stock suffers, wild life suffers. Go to the humane society with your pets, I suggest killing the rats.

Amy Albright 3 years, 4 months ago

FYI: New animal control business based out of Lawrence called T & E Wildlife Control. They humanely trap relocate all nuisance animals, unless they are symptomatic of diseases, of course. The phone number is (785) 424-0965, email Trapper_TJ@yahoo.com and they are licensed and have permission to relocate at Clinton Lake. He said they will do raccoons, skunks, beavers, opossums, snakes, and everything in between. The gentleman in charge of the business is starting out only part time so he wouldn't be able to do any trapping until after 4pm, but would be able to take leave from work in emergency cases. He is also willing to go outside of Lawrence for an additional fee. He charges $60 for assessment and setting up the trap, then $30 for every animal trapped. (Critter Control charges $120 with an additional $30 for each animal trapped.)

I'm an ex-wildlife rehabber, and NO, it is not cool to kill a raccoon with car exhaust. I'd like to know what company did this.