Sound Off

What agency inspects medical facilities such as doctor offices? I know of one that’s two stories, doesn’t have an elevator or an automatic door for people in wheelchairs or crutches. Who would I contact?

The city of Lawrence inspects medical buildings that are under construction, including new construction and renovations, according to Megan Gilliland, communications manager for the city. Existing private facilities are required to make accessibility improvements that are readily achievable. Improvements that are not readily achievable may be required as alterations to the building are made, depending on the scope of the alteration project. Inquiries and complaints regarding the ADA can be submitted to the Development Services Division at 832-7700.


Sheila Martin 7 years, 7 months ago

Go to a different doctor. Try some common sense. That brain you have should be used!

Blessed4x 7 years, 7 months ago

Gotta agree with Smartin. You're not being forced to see this doctor. If you have special access needs, go to a doctor who's building meets these needs. I would guess that 95% or more of the current doctor's offices are ADA compliant. In fact, I don't believe I've ever seen one that isn't. Suck it up, bud, and use that head for something other than a hat rack.

kernal 7 years, 7 months ago

I don't see where the inquirer stated he, or she, requires handicapped access. It was just a question on behalf of those who need those type of facilities ... speaking of using a head for something other than a hat rack.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.