Sound Off

What’s the jurisdiction of the KU police department? Can its officers issue citations for infractions that occur off campus?

Kansas University police officers can issue citations only for infractions that occur on “property owned or operated by the university, endowment association, alumni association, athletic association or recognized student organizations (and) on streets, property and highways immediately adjacent to campus and within Lawrence when officers are following up on crimes committed on campus,” according to information provided by Capt. Schuyler Bailey of the Kansas University Public Safety Office. “It is possible for safety and other reasons that the car stop for an on-campus traffic violation may occur off-campus,” said Bailey. “The citation that is issued will specify the location where the officer observed the violation occur within university police jurisdiction, not where the car was stopped.”


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.