Sound Off

A tree in my neighbor’s yard overhangs my property. Can I trim it without my neighbor’s permission?

According to city staff attorney Scott Miller, citizens’ rights and responsibilities in this situation are controlled by civil property law. If the tree is on private property, the city does not have the right to cut or trim the offending branches. As with all neighborhood issues, the city recommends that you discuss this matter with your neighbor in an attempt to resolve the situation amicably. If this fails to resolve the problem, you may want to discuss this matter with a private attorney who will be best able to provide you with legal advice about your specific circumstances.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.