Advertisement

Sound Off

There have been frequent references to a YMCA in the Old Home Town column. When did it exist? Where was it?

According to YMCA Archives, in 1882 and 1883, there were two YMCAs established in Lawrence — one was for the city and the other was affiliated with Kansas University. In 1917, there is record of a Haskell YMCA as well.

The city’s YMCA was located: • 1883-1897, second floor of 902 Mass. • 1898-1899, 937 Mass. • 1900-1906, second floor of 924 Mass. (Dr. James Naismith was vice president in 1901.) • 1907-1919, 16 W. Eighth St.

KU’s YMCA was located: • 1882-1888, Fraser Hall, room 11. • 1889-1914, 1300 Oread Ave.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.