How did Lecompton get its name?
According to Douglas County and state historical records, Lecompton is named for Samuel D. Lecompte, who was the chief justice of the territorial supreme court from 1854 to 1859. The city was originally called “Bald Eagle” but the name was changed to honor Lecompte. Lecompte later served on the bench in Leavenworth County and was a member of the Kansas House. He died April 24, 1888, in Kansas City, Mo.