Sound Off

What has to be done to get the speed lowered on a township road, and can it be lowered on just one road?

“The best way is to talk to the township board about the need to lower the speed limit,” said Keith Browning, county engineer and director of public works for Douglas County. “If the township board agrees that lowering the speed should be investigated, they will notify my office.” The county’s Department of Public Works then would conduct a traffic study to determine whether a change might be appropriate. If so, a resolution outlining the proposed change would be sent to the Douglas County Commission for consideration. The commission has sole authority to establish traffic regulations, such as speed limits, on township-maintained roads, Browning said. “It is certainly possible to establish a speed limit on just one road, although we would look at the road network in the vicinity in determining what is appropriate,” he said.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.