Sound Off

I have an American flag that is starting to fade and is a little bit torn around the edges. How do I properly dispose of it?

The United States flag code says, "The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning." Several organizations are authorized to conduct such ceremonies, including the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the American Legion. Jerry Karr, post commander of the VFW, 138 Ala., said American flags can be dropped off at the post to be retired. They can also be dropped off at the American Legion, 3408 W. Sixth St., which retires roughly 100 flags in its annual ceremony.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.