Advertisement

Sound Off

How did the Flint Hills get their name?

According to the Kansas Tourism and Travel Division, explorer Zebulon Pike named the scenic area in 1806 for the flint-like chert that shows through the tall prairie grasses in eastern and central Kansas. Much of the limestone in the Flint Hills contains bands of chert or flint that caps most of the hilltops in the region, according to the Kansas Geological Survey.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.