Sound Off

I live in the country, and I would like to know what my rights are in protecting my property from a number of dogs running loose in the area? What can I do?

There is no animal control service for rural Douglas County. You can call the Lawrence Humane Society for help with troublesome dogs, director Midge Grinstead said.

The Humane Society will send someone out and if it is a vicious dog they will chase it until it is caught, she said. If the dog is not aggressive and the landowner is able to hold or keep it, the society will send someone out to get it when they have time.

It is against state law to shoot a dog unless it is threatening the lives of livestock or humans, Grinstead said.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.