Sound Off

What kind of gulls are those that I see people looking at from the Kansas River bridge?

Most of the gulls are either herring or ring-billed. Both are considered common in Kansas. Also in the mix are some Thayer's gulls, which aren't so common.

At least one of the gulls is thought to be a first-year glaucous. According to David Seibel, an avid birdwatcher, glaucous gulls are rarely found in Kansas. They spend their summers in the arctic, their winters in the Great Lakes regions.

Seibel has posted photographs of the possible glaucous gull on his Web site:


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.