Sound Off

Could the city charge people on fixed incomes a lower property-tax rate than people who have regular incomes?

No, state law would not allow for a separate tax rate for senior citizens or other people on fixed income. Some states have created programs that give property-tax breaks to senior citizens and those on fixed incomes. City commissioners have been advised by staff members that such a program in Kansas would require an amendment to the Kansas Constitution.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.