Sound Off

Is it illegal to burn trash in a rural area of Douglas County?

The Kansas Department of Health and Environment requires all solid materials be hauled to an approved landfill, according to Keith Dabney, director of zoning and codes for Douglas County. Douglas County zoning regulations require people running landfills to obtain a conditional use permit, which allows them to lawfully dispose of waste materials. Dabney said tree branches and brush may be burned so long as they are not moved to a new location. But the Douglas County Commission, on occasion, will impose burn bans, which would apply to burning brush and farmers clearing pasture during extremely dry conditions.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.