Sound Off

Since bicyclists want to share the road with motor vehicles, are they required to carry liability insurance in case of an accident? And if there is an accident, what insurance would cover it?

A spokesman for Insurance Commissioner Sandy Praeger said the answer to the first question was no. Bicycles do not fit the definition of a motor vehicle under Kansas statute 40-3103.

Regarding the second question, Jennie Washburn of Hedges Insurance said that if a bicyclist was at fault and damaged another car, it likely would be covered under the bicyclist's homeowner's insurance policy -- if he or she had one.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.