Podcasts Room 125: The LHS Podcast

Race relations at LHS: Could the 'Jena 6' happen here?

Browse the archive Subscribe via iTunes

Tuesday, Oct. 16, 2007

In the wake of the "Jena 6" controversy, the student-produced podcast takes a look at race relations at Lawrence High School. Plus: An examination of teens and drinking, a proposal for a four-day school week, and the latest reviews.

Download episode

Comments

ksdivakat 6 years, 4 months ago

Wow.....heres the main parenting problem right here in black and white!!! NOBODY IS LISTENING TO THE KIDS!!!! Everyone wants to blame the journal world for not putting in FS opinion on the subject, and when the LJW guy comes on to tell you that this was the LHS students ideas, you people STILL went on ranting about this and that about the article! This is a very good topic for discussion for the students, for gods sake even the students are commenting that they are the ones who broadcast this, and the response?? well all of LHS broadcast students do this but only 2 at FS?? WTH?? Listen to what these kids are saying instead of putting your own silly, bitter spin on the story! Could this be a problem in lawrence?? Of course it could!!!! Lawrence is quite diverse......Geez....get a grip people, listen to what the kids are saying and asking and then answer the kids...not the LJW, not Leonard Pitts, not anyone else...deal with this issue as I know its uncomfortable, but how in the heck are we as a society supposed to get past the race issue, if nobody ever addresses it??? Lets talk about it, lets get it out in the open and then the healing can begin! Gesh................

speaking117 6 years, 4 months ago

this is to sunshine noise

if you actuly paid attention to the podcast and listend you would hear that the four day school week is only suggested for high schools and jr. highs

and also you shouyld feel ashamed by ridiculing a high school kid who obvouisly worked pretty to put that together

and the four day school week isnt to reduce work its to give them more time to learn more because the hours actuly put kids in school for longer then usual

and to just another ninja do you asume that kids are at school running?

well if you do i can tell you there not thier sitting on their asses there buying extra food with thier al-a-cart

teachr2937 6 years, 6 months ago

I am a parent of a student who helped make this podcast, but I teach in Kansas City. The students at my inner city school assume that Jenna-like events can & will happen in their lives. They do not imagine the racial tension, just like the Jenna students who knew they had to ask permission to sit under a tree did not imagine the tension.

Here in Lawrence, I see much more interaction among the many races than I do in KC. I appreciate that the Lawrence students are asking themselves questions about their racial attitudes. They are helping to bring MLK, Jr.'s dream come true faster, by asking these questions and by interacting. Keep it up kids....

Any body else hear/see the connections between Fahrenheit 451 & the history of racial issues in America.... perhaps if we just have more bread & circuses. we won't notice that we have more work to do. Read the book, learn from the past & the present.

The_Sandwichman 6 years, 6 months ago

I'm one of the kids that did the podcast and the LJWorld didn't have anything to do with it and was done by the students, except the title, which goes along well with the podcast. LISTEN TO THE PODCAST before commenting!!!!!

Golf4Life 6 years, 6 months ago

Yes this podcast is very good for highschool students. So far I think that LHS's podcasts have been better then Free State's. I noticed that LHS uses their entire Broadcast class. Free State only uses 2 students.

Pywacket 6 years, 6 months ago

Sourpuss~ I'm glad you posted again and clarified your earlier comments. I still think you're being a little overly sensitive about the LJW's coverage of the two schools. I, too, have ties to LHS and none to FSHS, but even from my biased position, I don't see any edge being given to FS. However, we can agree to disagree about that. You may have a point about the headlines. Headlines in general (the LJW is certainly not the worst in this category) tend to be uneven and often are not up to the quality of the story itself. Why don't they just let the writer provide his or her own headline? That has always mystified me.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 6 months ago

The Jackson 5... it could happen here.

( Be afraid, be very afraid. )

bennyoates 6 years, 6 months ago

Sure, it could. But it's unlikely that young people will make it happen. Instead, lots of the reactionaries who posted to the LJ World on earlier articles regarding the Jena 6 would be the culprits. You, the guys who think that there would be no racial problems if it weren't for Leonard Pitts, and the ones who think that complaining about nooses is just a lot of politically correct whining.

Jonathan_Jason_McDaniels 6 years, 6 months ago

Maybe they'll aim for the tower on campus?

Ragingbear 6 years, 6 months ago

~~Well, hey!:.even after six years::I'm still wondering if a 9/11-type attack could happen right here in Lawrence!~~

So let me get this straight. Terrorist will come into our country, train for 6+ months, hijack a plane , fly all the way to Lawrence and then decide that the best they can do to get their 71 virgins is to crash into what exactly? One of the jillion banks in town? The Eldridge? HINU or KU?

Oh. I know! They will aim for our coffee shops....

Oh man. That IS scary...

that_will_do_pig 6 years, 6 months ago

sourpuss:

if you are in fact a graduate and long-time resident of the lawrence school system, then you would recognize how childish and perpetuating your remarks are. i too graduated from a lawrence high school, and i think that everyone's bias' tends to run along affiliated lines. if free state is having a great year in football, and the kids on the team are being recruited and are of interest to area colleges (and they are, do you even bother to read THOSE articles?) then let the LJWorld report it so. and if LHS's students are creating a fantastic expose into possible racial tensions at their school, so be it. good for them.

Mr_Ramirez 6 years, 6 months ago

Shouldnt there be a Leonard Pitts link here?

Kat Christian 6 years, 6 months ago

4 day school Week. ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FREAKING MINDS? Perfect formula for more problems teens to get into trouble. Who will care for the younger kids? Why not a 4 day work week to go along with a 4 day school week. I think we Americans spend too much time at work and comuting and not enough time home taking care of our families or our lives. We've become so stressed we don't even have time to enjoy our neighbors. No wander everyone is always complaining - we're all too tired and stressed. DUH - not rocket science here.

Joel 6 years, 6 months ago

Sourpuss: I think there's a fair discussion to be had about the headline (which I wrote, and which the LHS students had nothing to do with). Listening to the podcast, I thought that "Jena 6" was the question the students were trying to ask and answer - and I still think it is more specific and less vague than your suggested alternative. That said: I can see why you'd see that as sensationalistic; it wasn't the intent, but it's something to think about.

As for your LHS-Free State comments: I got to town after the split happened, and I can tell you that editors are keenly aware of the need to balance our coverage and presentation of coverage of the two schools -- if only because we hear about it every time there's a perceived imbalance. I'm not saying we do it perfectly, but it's something we give more-than-average thought to.

And I'll shut up after this, except to say: I hope everybody who is commenting here takes time to listen to the podcast. I think the high school students who are producing it have done a great job.

b3 6 years, 6 months ago

This is much more likely to happen in LHS rather than FSHS.

sourpuss 6 years, 6 months ago

I think I worded my response poorly.

I have noticed that, as -FRONT PAGE HEADLINES- on this website, as in, the headlines I see on www.ljworld.com, tend to be somewhat unbalanced between the schools. Granted, I AM bias, I am an old Chesty Lion, and I like to still know what is happening at my old school, especially with sports and the like. Well, I have become -increasingly- frustrated that Free State football is very easy for me to find out about because it is often headlined, and LHS is not. Once, I had to really hunt to find out of LHS won a particular game. And then I come on today and the main headline is comparing my old school is Jena. I'm very glad the kids at LHS are concerned about such things and do not want that sort of environment in Lawrence. Kudos to them. No kudos to the LJW for HOW they deal with the two high schools. I'm sorry, but I still see a marked difference in how reporting is done, ---in terms of the main page---.

The LJW-online could do its job better. "Race relations at LHS: Could the 'Jena 6' happen here?" is sensationalist. How about "Podcast: LHS students discuss race and intolerance" - it is less sensationalist, it gives credit to the kids from the offset, and it doesn't make it sound like LHS (from the HEADLINE) is seething with nooses and swastikas. Again, it is not the CONTENT of the information, it is HOW the information is presented on the front page.

And I still say "shame" (period.)

Pywacket 6 years, 6 months ago

I was reading through the first few comments here, starting to fume about them, and was all ready to point out to the morons the fact (WHICH IS CLEARLY STATED) that this concerns--again--a podcast put together by LHS students, when I reached Joel's timely post saying exactly that. I'm posting anyway, though, because some people don't get it until they're hit over the head five or six times.

If anything needs to be compared/contrasted between LHS and FSHS here, it might be that the LHS students feel comfortable enough with each other to tackle this subject right now. I do not think there's any evidence, however, to assume that FSHS students are NOT that comfortable. Maybe they are doing similar projects or talking openly about subjects raised by the "Jena 6" case. We don't know that they aren't, so we shouldn't leap to conclusions.

I view this sort of discussion (at either school) as a positive thing and am pleased that the LJW saw fit to report on it. For the record, I have a student at LHS who has friends at both schools. I see no good to be gained by trying to pit one school against the other by going off half-cocked and trying to stir s***, as ragingbear and sourpuss did this morning. The kids are more sensible than you "adults." And the LJW is just doing its job.

Jonathan_Jason_McDaniels 6 years, 6 months ago

Well, hey!....even after six years......I'm still wondering if a 9/11-type attack could happen right here in Lawrence!

Confrontation 6 years, 6 months ago

Thanks for the info, Joel. It's amazing how much people freak out about a newspaper that they read for free.

Joel 6 years, 6 months ago

Hello.

The podcast was put together by students at Lawrence High -- they're the ones who decided to tackle this topic, and I think they did a good job. No "hating" intended by anybody at LJW.

The Free State podcast is on alternating Tuesdays.

Hope that helps, Joel Mathis Managing Editor for Convergence

Agnostick 6 years, 6 months ago

The "Jena 6" situation is, in essence, a "perfect storm."

A perfect storm, potentially, can happen anywhere... including Lawrence, Kansas.

Talking about the likelihood of it happening here... that's a whole different ball game...

Agnostick agnostick@excite.com http://www.uscentrist.org http://www.americanplan.org

just_another_ninja 6 years, 6 months ago

Sure, take a school day out of the week so kids can sit at home, play video games, and get fat(ter).

sourpuss 6 years, 6 months ago

What about Free State? How is it that the front-page news I see about Free State is their sports teams and the news I see about LHS is racial tension? Is there some sort of bias at work here? Is the LJW hating on poor old LHS because they aren't the new and shiny school?

Ragingbear 6 years, 6 months ago

Today's journalistic fearmongering brought to you today by the LJW. We make things up to scare people, so you don't have to.