Podcasts Pulse Podcast

Tribute band creates Pink Floyd Experience

Browse the archive Subscribe via iTunes

Friday, Sept. 21, 2007

Tom Quinn realizes it's not as good as the real deal.
But he calls his Pink Floyd Experience "the next best thing to being at a Pink Floyd concert."
The San Diego-based tribute band - complete with a laser light show, surround-sound speakers and the signature flying pig - comes to the Lied Center for a show at 7:30 tonight.
In this week's Pulse Podcast, guitarist and founder Quinn talks about his appreciation for Pink Floyd, his band's attempt to replicate the music and how Floyd is catching on with the younger set.
Also, hear several songs, including "Wish You Were Here," "Money," "Comfortably Numb" and "Time."
After that, we'll tell you about some of the other events going on in the Lawrence in the next few days in our weekly Best Bets feature.

Download episode

Comments

iancahir 7 years, 4 months ago

Just a head's up from us over at the Lied Center. The show is at 7:30 p.m., not 7 p.m. We're gonna have a great time! And there are still tickets available! They're $40 for adults, $20 for children and local students with ID. We'll have the ticket office open all day so you can still get involved!

Centrist 7 years, 4 months ago

No offense to the band, I like that you're doing this. But the cost is .. prohibitive. I was going to go, until I saw that it was $40 a ticket. I don't think it's worth that to see a cover band. If it was, say $15 or $20, I would've gone. I don't care how many lights, lasers or pigs they have, they are not the Floyd. For $40, you can see several (original) bands at once in KC.

iancahir 7 years, 4 months ago

If you have a question about the size, scope and reality of the show, check out the group's Web site. The thing about it is that it's not about a cover band. The band plays, and they are great, but this show is about the entire experience. The lights and the multimedia (and the huge sound) bring you into that concert experience that hasn't existed since the band split.

If this were just a cover band, we wouldn't have it. This is a LOT more. And we hope to see you all tonight!

Lenette Hamm 7 years, 4 months ago

Agreed!! Paid about that to see the REAL deal at Arrowhead some years ago. I'd rather spend the money seeing an original band that a fake anytime... no matter how good they may be.

Jeff Rice 7 years, 4 months ago

WOW. I wish I would have known about this sooner. Too bad I'm committed elsewhere. I also believe $40 is waaaay to much to see this.

motomom 7 years, 4 months ago

my family gave me tickets to go for my birthday and i am sooooo excited. i will let ya'll know how it was.........i am excited to take my kids. even though it is not the real thing, i am thankful to get just a taste.

Ken Miller 7 years, 4 months ago

Two hits of acid before tonight's show and you'll swear David Gilmour was riding that flying pig.

Mkh 7 years, 4 months ago

You should probably take three hits just to be safe oscar. I wanna go check this out, especially the light show, but for $40 bucks they better be playing all of 'Animals' and most of 'Meddle'

ranger73 7 years, 4 months ago

Gosh- When did all the stoners get so tight?

Linda Aikins 7 years, 4 months ago

WOW!!! I gladly paid $40 for a ticket - in fact I'm taking my girl bud! After all, when will the REAL Pink Floyd tour again? Heck - it costs $20 to go to the theater to see a mediocre movie.

I guess it's about priorities and taste, and to me, the Pink has mine! I will go to no other concerts this decade, real band or not.

iancahir 7 years, 4 months ago

Hi all,

They're finishing up the stage set, and let me tell you, this is WAY more than just a cover band. The setup is even bigger than I expected. I saw the Australian Pink Floyd on PBS the other night. These guys are on par, believe me. Check out our site, lied.ku.edu for a podcast we did with Tom Quinn. There's also some video of the show on our home page (with quiet sound if you're at work).

And remember, the adult full price is $40. There are also discounts available. Check out the Web site or call 864-2787 and we'll help you get the right price ticket for you!

Ian Cahir graphic designer, Lied Center of Kansas

Linda Aikins 7 years, 4 months ago

We are very excited to see it too. Thanks for the updates, ian!

Centrist 7 years, 4 months ago

Saw the real Floyd (minus Roger Waters, but we didn't miss him, and still don't) in Australia, Feb 11, 1988 at Thebarton Oval in Adelaide, home of the SANFL Eagles. I still have my ticket stub from the gig. Wish I could find a (video) bootleg of that show somewhere. Fantastic show, of course. Wasn't stoned on anything, either!!

Have seen a couple of Floyd cover bands since. They're good, but NOWHERE near the original. "Think Floyd" were good, "Floyd Time" almost as good. Never saw any others.

Sorry, Lied Center - $40 is still too much. And I can't get a discount.

Log - how can you spot a Floydian? g

riverdrifter 7 years, 4 months ago

Floydians, unlike Deadheads, are tougher to spot, methinks. If you've seen Floyd (or whomever) in the flesh, remakes do not compute. So:

If I were alone I would cry And if I were with you I'd be home and dry And if I go insane Will you still let me join in with the game?

If I were a swan I'd be gone If I were a train I'd be late again If I were a good man I'd talk with you more often than I do.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years, 4 months ago

One word; half the price: Pulse

(Oh sure, it's a smaller "venue," but it's authentic.)

Baille 7 years, 4 months ago

They were very good. Made for a great night. Money well spent.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years, 4 months ago

Pywacket says: "It's kind of like this: what if Picasso, instead of developing his own personal masterpieces and techniques, had meticulously copied the works of, say, Da Vinci, and could reproduce works such as La Gioconda (Mona Lisa), to utter perfection."

Hmm... maybe he could have avoided that "blue" period, altogether.

Pywacket says: "For my money, I'd rather have a Da Vinci print than a "faux" Da Vinci that was painted by someone else-even if that someone else had had the talents of Picasso."

... hey, not to mention the coveted velvet Elvis....

Pywacket says: "I know:snobbery and all."

Right there with ya, on all counts-David raging in the background.

Mkh 7 years, 4 months ago

Anyone got a setlist from last night?

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years, 4 months ago

Mkh says: "Anyone got a setlist from last night?"

faux "Shine on You Crazy Diamond faux "Learning to Fly" faux "High Hopes" ...

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years, 4 months ago

Mr_Ramirez says: faux? that is hilarious!!!::::::not really.

... something about your reply doesn't... ring true....