Podcasts Pulse Podcast

1970s band Tree Frog gathers for reunion show

Browse the archive Subscribe via iTunes

Friday, July 27, 2007

Every year since 1988, members of the 1970s Lawrence band Tree Frog have assembled for a reunion show.
They used to joke that they'd do it until they died.
Now that they're older, member Scott Piper says, "that's not funny anymore."
But now that they're scattered across the country, Tree Frog members enjoy their biannual reunion shows, which this year comes at 8 p.m. Saturday at Liberty Hall.
In this week's Pulse Podcast, members recall their days as a traveling rock-country band, including sweaty tour bands, dives filled with rowdy rugby players and often being just one step away from making it big.
Also, hear the band play two acoustic songs, as well as an archived recording from 1977.

Download episode

Comments

kugrad 7 years, 5 months ago

Now if they could get South of the Tracks and Hickory Wind and Crosswinds and Kelly Hunt and the Kinetics, we could really have a flashback!

littlelawrencian 7 years, 5 months ago

Hey while we are at it, how bout Spider and the Crabs, any oldsters out there that remember that band, going back a little further, and by the way, I had a brother in Crosswinds, at least if it is the same band as the one mentioned, I would love to see them again, great cover band, great brass section. Anyone remember Egor/Igor? He was this huge man that was the manager of several bands back in the 70's. Bet nobody messed with him! Anyone know the names of the Crosswinds group members? The one I am referring to was John Hall, Gary Frager, Jim Keen, and a couple others I can't remember. Gosh, the memories!

stuckinthemiddle 7 years, 5 months ago

I remember Egor... and most of this other stuff... though some of it is foggy...

Bill Lee 7 years, 5 months ago

littlelawrencian, Two versions of Spider and the Crabs reunited at Liberty Hall last year when the band was inducted into the Kansas Music Hall of Fame, the original version with "Spanky" and a later horn band version. Gary "Igor" Crawford died a few years ago in Kansas City. He is still missed by his many friends in KC and Lawrence.

camper 7 years, 5 months ago

Anybody have the opportunity to see Trip Shakespesare? Though they were from Minneapolis, a reunion would be cool. Absolutely the best rock show I ever saw...Bottleneck 1993.

kbv 5 years, 3 months ago

Somebody told me 'Gor passed on, but it's still hard to believe. I played in an incarnation of "Spider" in the late '70s. We were a hard rock/heavy metal band, with a fire show and all that, and I remember people coming to see us expecting this big horn section. He was still working with Rader then. Igor was as cool as he was large, but he had too big a heart , and a lot of bands used him to get in with that outfit from Montana. Can't think of any who actually made it, and I'm glad I wasn't in any of them. Igor earned my highest tribute: I got laid a lot when I worked with him. kbv