Advertisement

Photo galleries

Back to gallery

What used to be there

Journal-World photographers revisit historic photographs of Lawrence to illustrate the differences — and similarities — between then and now.

Left: This is the Kansas University campus as it appeared in 1896. Oread Avenue was a dirt path, with the beginning of Mississippi Street angling downhill from the upper right. Spooner Library is the large building beyond the house in the foreground. 13th Street is the dirt path running from the middle of the frame to the left at bottom of image. Right: The view looking south down Oread Avenue, taken from top of The Oread hotel March 7, 2011.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.

Browse the gallery