Advertisement

Photo galleries

Back to gallery

What used to be there

Journal-World photographers revisit historic photographs of Lawrence to illustrate the differences — and similarities — between then and now.

Left: The view looking southwest down Massachusetts Street around 1908. Lawrence had five banks, eight newspapers and a population of about 11,135. The 800 block of Massachusetts Street, foreground, was home to Obers Clothing Company, L.F. Conklin's Gunsmithing, Stevenson Book Company, Gustafson's Jewelry, H.C. Wheeler's dental practice and Woodward & Co. Right: The view looking southwest down Massachusetts Street, taken from the roof of Sunflower Outdoor & Bike March 7, 2011.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.

Browse the gallery