Photo galleries

Back to gallery

Kansas history: 1941 - 1971

A prototype of a Dymaxion House, designed by Richard Buckminster Fuller. The house, constructed in Rose Hill, was made of aluminum and used tension suspension from a central column or mast. This model was one of only two prototypes ever produced. Fuller hoped to convert the Beech aircraft factory in Wichita to produce these houses to give returning veterans jobs and to help resolve the shortage of homes after World War II. In 1991 the William Graham family donated it to the Henry Ford Museum & Greenfield Village in Dearborn, Mich.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.

Browse the gallery