Photo galleries

Back to gallery

LJWorld.com's top 10 photos of 2010

These are the top 10 most-viewed photos of 2010 in order of popularity.

LiDAR image of the historic Woodland Park. The image reveals the location of the park's horse racing track, which confirms that the location of the park was indeed at the east end of 12th Street.

Comments

50YearResident 4 years, 9 months ago

Is that a creek running right through the middle of the track?

TheBigW 4 years, 9 months ago

Like I posted, you can still see the track in the flatland area if you know the woods real well. Met a guy walking out of there today who was metal detecting, after reading the story, said he didn't find anything though. It would be cool to over lay this image with a current Google earth image.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, I'm confused. Some pointers about what is where (present-day landmarks, streets, etc.) would help.

grassman 4 years, 9 months ago

OldEnuf- The diagnol line running next to the track is the railroad track. The main line running west and east is E. 11th St. You can faintly see the city compost site just north of the track. I hope this helps. I'm fairly new to Lawrence, so I don't know too many landmarks.

Liberty275 4 years, 9 months ago

"Some pointers about what is where (present-day landmarks"

The big orange spot is the hill with the statue of the crucifix in the cemetary. The orange at the lower right is close to the quantrill memorial. The thin blue vertical line is the ditch west of the park. The break in that line is the bridge. The prominent green line going ESE is the railroad track. The cool looking thing at the left top is the sewer plant, I think.

geekin_topekan 4 years, 9 months ago

The yellow area on the left hand side that is halfway up is about a hundred feet west from the corner of 11th and Haskell. If you follow south you will go past the recycling center. If you go north, the street curves around to the east and there is a landscaping business back there and a few other businesses.

Silly_me 4 years, 9 months ago

If you go to Google maps in Lawrence, you can get a pretty good idea where it is. In the satellite photo on Google, it looks like the track is hidden by a grove of trees/bushes. You can't really see the outline of the track in the Google image.

Liberty275 4 years, 9 months ago

As the crow flies, the center of the track is about 1000 feet northeast of the swings in the park.

TheBigW 4 years, 9 months ago

yes that would be the creek splitting it right in the middle.

gneiss_guy 4 years, 9 months ago

If you look at the Feb. 15, 2002 aerial photo in Google Earth Historical Imagery, you can see the same horse race track in the trees.

Jill Jevens 4 years, 9 months ago

I am quite familiar with the woods, and there is a main, well-worn (and often very muddy!) pathway through them that, before I knew about the track, always struck me as an old railroad bed because it is fairly wide and is distinctive. Now I know it is the southern stretch of the track. It is also clear where the western end of the track was because the earth appears to have been intentionally built up around the perimeter of that end.

Thinking_Out_Loud 4 years, 8 months ago

Liberty275, I think you mean the "Quantrill Victims" memorial...it doesn't memorialize the second man to raid and burn Lawrence.

Browse the gallery