Crews crush rock for work on a paving project in Lawrence, one of several WPA projects funded by FDR's New Deal program.
Paradise has a "Post Rock" limestone water tower built in 1937 as part of a WPA project. This water tower holds 50,000 gallons.
A group of WPA workers in the 700 block of Massachusetts Street circa 1936. President Franklin D. Roosevelt created the Works Progress Administration, later renamed the Works Projects Administration, to provide jobs and income for the unemployed.
The Mennonite Settler is a 17-foot limestone statue in Newton, Kan., honoring Mennonite farmers and their wheat heritage. The statue was jointly financed through a community fundraising drive and a Works Progress Administration (WPA) art project.
Nicodemus Township Hall in Graham County. Constructed in 1939, the hall was the site of meetings, ballot casting, and large community gatherings in the black settlement of Nicodemus. It is now the Nicodemus National Historic Site.
Klaus Abegg, a Swiss taxidermist, right, and Otto Tiermeier, KU graduate student, work on a restoration project in the Dyche Hall diorama in 1939. The KU building was closed from November 1932 to June 1941 for substantial restoration, some of which was funded by the WPA.
The WPA helped fund work to the old New York School building. The old school was later razed after a new New York School was constructed, located at 939 New York St.
A sepia colored photo of a WPA sewing class in Topeka on September 8, 1936. President Franklin D. Roosevelt created the Works Progress Administration, later renamed the Works Projects Administration, to provide jobs and income for the unemployed.