Photo galleries

Back to gallery

Mike Yoder's Year in Photos 2008

Nearly 40,000 Jayhawk fans fill Massachusetts Street from Seventh to 11th streets after the Jayhawks' 75-68 overtime victory over Memphis in the final of the NCAA men's basketball championship Monday. This photo is taken from the roof of the Eldridge Hotel looking south.

Comments

Erin Parmelee 6 years, 8 months ago

I too was there, and everyone was very cool, friendly, excited, but not trashing anything--don't be conned into believing that. Way cool! Rock on Jayhawks!!!!!!!!

chula6898 6 years, 8 months ago

Way to go Jayhawks!! I was cheering from Hawaii. It looks like everyone had a good time downtown. I'm jealous that I couldn't be there for the celebration!!!

Frederic Gutknecht IV 6 years, 8 months ago

I see me! I'm the 33rd from the left, 1278 people down. ...and that is a home-rolled tobacco cigarette I'm smoking. I swear!~)

chemegirlie 6 years, 8 months ago

I am not sure, but someone who was at the 1988 celebration on campus told me that in '88 you could have alcohol on campus. That may explain why the celebration was on mass and not on Jayhawk Blvd last night.

Rickyonealku 6 years, 8 months ago

What a photo.....congrats to the 2008 NCAA National Champion Kansas Jayhawks...KU KU KU

papacho 6 years, 8 months ago

Way to go, Jayhawks! Masterfully executed! These guys showed that they know how to play under pressure.If you listened carefully, you could hear us cheering all the way from Puerto Rico!!!

BigPrune 6 years, 8 months ago

Damage to property estimates put at $200,000 +. Why don't they celebrate on Jayhawk Boulevard, KU sick of the clean-up costs or something?

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 8 months ago

somewhere in that mass of people is my 19yr old. Well hope all had fun, looks like they did.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 8 months ago

those are not all ku students down there you know.

volunteer 6 years, 8 months ago

Terrific photo, LJW. Thanks, classy KU team and coach!

gphawk89 6 years, 8 months ago

Downtown? So does KU not allow a celebration on Jayhawk Boulevard now? I remember celebrating the '88 win along the boulevard; the option of going downtown instead didn't even enter my mind. Maybe they are tired of the cleanup costs. Funny, one of the things I remember most about the '88 celebration is walking back to the hall along the boulevard at about 2am and it being literally covered with smashed beer cans.

gphawk89 6 years, 8 months ago

EXks 6 years, 8 months ago

KU National Champs! Congrats team and Coach Self!For once, some POSITIVE news from Kansas.

Wendy magillicutty 6 years, 8 months ago

In 1988 they didnt have nearly the same number of bars downtown hence we also never thought of going down there. oh and uh, we were underage too. naturally, that only had a little bit to do with it sheepish grin I believe there is now a permanent love/hate relationship with downtown and KU. The parade should recognize the football players too! In addition, the revenue will make up for the arrowhead game and every one can put that issue to rest. I am so proud to be from Lawrence, KS!!!

gphawk89 6 years, 8 months ago

cheme-True, I was at the '88 celebration and at that time we "could not have alcohol on campus". However, 1000's of us did have alcohol on campus, at least that one night. I think any attempt at enforcing the no alcohol rule would have been futile. Way too many revelers and way too few cops.

broomchemistry 6 years, 8 months ago

I live in Boulder. Wishful thinking: maybe someday we'll get a like celbration? Unlikely. Different place, different people... Not sure that 40,000 fans here would be that altogether peaceful. But it's a nice thought!

Browse the gallery