Jim Bieker, Lawrence, drills holes for inspection tubes for a service station across the street from 838 La., where a home was destroyed by a fire, caused by leaking gas.
Workers and city officials watch as a 14-foot ditch is dug to allow gasoline believed to be leaking from underground tanks to be drained. The work took place Tuesday behind the home at 838 La., which was severely damaged by a fire Sunday. The blaze was caused by leaking gasoline, firefighters said Tuesday.
Sharon Watson, director of communications for the Kansas Department of Health and Environment, speaks to the media about the attempts to locate the source of gasoline suspected of causing the fire at 838 La. The remains of the torched house, which occupied the lot in the upper right of the frame, were razed on Tuesday by construction crews.
Virginia Tomich and her boyfriend, Eric Powell, lived in one of the five apartments in the home at 838 La. that was destroyed in a fire Sunday. They had moved in Friday night. Tomich woke with smoke filling her apartment and began waking other residents. Tomich and Powell lost all their belongings.
City crews in foreground dig in search of gasoline leakage near the intersection of 9th and Louisiana. Fuel in underground tanks from gas stations near 9th and Louisiana may have played a role in the fire early Sunday that destroyed a house at 838 La., visible in the background center.
Lawrence firefighters climb to the second floor to work a fire at a house at 838 La. that was heavily damaged in the blaze early Sunday morning. Residents of apartments in the house saw smoke in the house about 3 a.m. Firefighters were still on the scene at 7 a.m.
Lawrence firefighters work a fire on the second floor of a house at 838 Louisiana that was heavily damaged in the blaze early Sunday morning. Residents of apartments in the house saw smoke in the house around 3 a.m. Firefighters were still on the scene at 7 a.m.
Fire Marshal Rich Barr, center, talks with residents Eric Powell, left, and Virginia Tomich, right, about the fire in their apartment house at 838 Louisiana Sunday morning. Tomich said she saw smoke around 3 a.m. Sunday and alerted other residents. Powell and Tomich had just moved in Friday with $1,000 of new furniture. The house was heavily damaged in the fire. Firefighters were still on the scene at 7 a.m.
The intersection at Ninth and Ohio streets is blocked off after emergency crews responded to a fire early Saturday.