Caretaker Neil Shanberg walks among the graves of the B'nai Israel Cemetery southwest of Eudora. The Lawrence Jewish Community Center, 917 Highland Drive, is raising $40,000 to improve the old cemetery.
Tombstones from the 1800s are among those in the B'nai Israel Cemetery. The two-acre cemetery contains about 40 graves and will undergo some renovations to enhance its appearance.
The placement of the hands from this 1898 tombstone engraving represents a special blessing from god, according to caretaker Neil Shanberg.
Caretaker Neil Shanberg reads the Hebrew inscription on a grave marker. The 1858 grave is the oldest in the cemetery but recently had a newer stone placed on it.
Three stones, representing visits to a grave, rest atop a tombstone.
Caretaker Neil Shanberg is among those who wish to improve the present state of the Jewish cemetery near Eudora. Shanberg is former president of the Lawrence Jewish Community Center.
This tombstone from the early 1900s is among about 40 markers at the Jewish cemetery near Eudora.