The owner of this water tower, which stands south of Highway 40 off of East 50 Road near Big Springs, is set to tear the structure down. Residents of the mobile home are concerned about the safety of the endeavor considering the tower's close proximity to the home. Douglas County officials have stopped work on the project until more detailed plans are submitted for the tower's demolition.

Read story

• Favorite

Comments

dwd69 3 years, 8 months ago

From looking at the picture it seems the residents of the mobile home are ready for demo day. Got the couch set up right in front of the smoker in perfect view of the tower. Wait, is that the ever elusive Chupacabra trotting across the yard/playground/driveway?

ksarmychick 3 years, 8 months ago

at least the couch in the front yard is facing the right direction to sit on it and watch the destruction!!!

trinity 3 years, 8 months ago

Wait, I'm not seeing the requisite satellite dish in the yard!
BTW-if y'all don't want your deck/porch steps and they're still in good shape after the tower falls on your trailer, I'd sure take 'em!

JJ34 3 years, 8 months ago

I really did not want involved in all the drama of this situation but over the last week or so I havnt had much of a choice between the sheriff zoning and codes and reporters knocking on my door so I have a few things Id like to say... There were not any issues with Mr. Howbert removing the tower until we all figured out he hadnt been how should I word "truthful" with everyone in the situation! Yes I live in a trailer and my yard is cluttered but does that make it alright for someone who is not qualified to take it down?!? If it were your place of residence how would you feel about it? So those of you saying it would be an improvement to drop the tower on my home is bs. I have a family and am looking out for our best interest! Shad himself is the one who told me he wouldnt be able to control where the water tower fell is that not supposed to concern me?! I was also told he was insured Ive asked for proof of that and have yet to see it.... Im not only concerned with the saftey of my home but how the water dept handled their end of it if anyone should be making a profit off the scrap of the tower shouldnt it be the water district itself?

cthulhu_4_president 3 years, 8 months ago

Good post, and good points. Sad that commenters here would choose to mock, rather than think that this might be a legitimate safety issue for a person to deal with.

I read somewhere else that he was trying to demolish the tower with no liability insurance, and no demolition permit, and the guy's brother said that it was basically the same principle of cutting down a tree. Right.....a tree with a 2 ton metal bulb at the top.....exactly the same as a tree. Too bad these issues weren't fleshed out more here.

Grump 3 years, 8 months ago

Looks a bit like my front yard. Don't worry about it. It's why I don't live in Lawrence.

Your points are well said. Taking the tower down that way would be insanity.

cthulhu_4_president 3 years, 8 months ago

Ha! Making fun of people whose homes aren't as nice as yours is great! You guys are hilarious!!!

trinity 3 years, 8 months ago

Oh get off your high pony. Her mobile home looks to be quite a bit newer&in better shape than mine!!

KansasPerson 3 years, 8 months ago

Geez, that IS close. A picture really helps this story along because until I looked at it, I didn't really get the situation. I'd be quite nervous too -- and it sounds like the guy doesn't know what he's doing, no matter what his rude brother says. And yeah, tree-cutters don't always do it right either -- I have seen some very close calls! Good luck JJ34 and let us know how it works out for you and your neighbors!!

pace 3 years, 8 months ago

I don't agree that is not a feasible plan. One can drop a tower. It is NOT like dropping a tree. He should invest in a good crane or at least a caterpillar 7 and good cables. He should have at least two anchored guide lines. He might kill someone. Demolition is better done with an experienced hand. I hate the dyi/make over shows that show demolition is like a drunk in a bar. Smart demolition is done with thought and is more like deconstruction.

pace 3 years, 8 months ago

The yard would look a lot worse with the trailer crushed and the kid's toys destroyed. The trolls have no courtesy.

Handylady 3 years, 8 months ago

It's time someone told the truth. The fact is JJ34 never asked for an insurance proof or she would have had one as Shad had copies. Second of all he told her exactly where it was going to fall as I was standing there and wait a minute. She was quoted as saying "it scares the __ out of me", when she in front of four other people, asked for permission to video the event. I guess that's what the sofa out front is for and she doesn't even own the property, she rents. Shad and Shane have taken down silo's before and they know what they are doing and would never jepordize anyone. Enough said!

MarcoPogo 3 years, 8 months ago

"Second of all he told her exactly where it was going to fall as I was standing there and wait a minute."

Huh?

Asking for permission to video the event doesn't mean she approves of the method; it means that she'll have the legal proof of negligence AND may be able to share in the prize that the footage wins on "America's Funniest Home Videos". Hell yeah she should have her camera out!

Shane Garrett 3 years, 8 months ago

I must admit that photo makes it look closer then the other photo I saw. Metal has a way of twisting and bending. I too would have concerns. And a viedo camera.

MISTERTibbs 3 years, 8 months ago

The satellite photo shows a pretty big area for this thing to fall if they do it properly. You'd certainly want those dozers pulling to ensure, as much as possible, that this thing fell the direction intended. I'd be more concerned if I was on the pulling end than if I owned the mobile home, though I would definitely want to make sure that the yahoo was insured just in case.

Handylady 3 years, 8 months ago

Excuse me The_Original_Bob

JJ34 was quoted in the Oct. 25, 2011 paper as saying "I won't be anywhere near it when he goes to tear this down." so why would she want to video it. She's not to scared, huh?

MarcoPogo 3 years, 8 months ago

C'mon now, there's a big difference between sitting in that lawn couch and taping it versus from across the street.

Blessed4x 3 years, 8 months ago

Wow, Lady. If there was a chance that my house was going to be flattened you better darn well believe that I would be video taping it to use in court when I sue you for damages. It's very obvious that you have an axe to grind.

JustNoticed 3 years, 8 months ago

"asked persmission"?? Oh dear FSM, what a sheep. If it can be seen from a public place - the street - or from private property where you have permission to be - your own yard - you don't need permission. And really, you don't even need balls much.

ccp101 3 years, 7 months ago

Ok let's get all of this straight. Yes she has a pretty dirty yard, but that is definitely not the point of the story and should have no bearing on the issue at had. The story was brought to light by the fact that an employee of the water district sold the tower to Shad, who works for the Shawnee Co. water district, for a $1.00. At the water board meeting the question was raised as to why the tower was only sold for a dollar. The board stated they just wanted to get rid of the liability of owning the water tower. When it was mentioned that there were other parties interested in the tower at a much higher price the water board quickly dismissed the issue. Members of the community get charged a flat water debt fee of $22 a month plus their regular water consumption cost. Why isn't the tower being sold for more money to help aleviate the cost the residents have to incure for new construction and maintenance. If it was as easy and legal as just hooking up a chain and pulling it over like a tree, don't you think the water board could have hired someone to do that and still have come out ahead after scrapin the metal. Fishy right? Shad did not have the necessary permits, bonds, or insurance to pull the water tower over. On top of the fact that there was a stop work order on the tower place by Douglas county until he met those requirements, and he took a crew out there anyway, tore down the sign, and proceeded to begin demolition. The county sheriff was called out and he was aloud to work for another hour. Shad must of thought he was above the law. Douglas county is very involved now and he must get the required permits and bonds to complete the job. It is just too bad that he didn't get fined for his initial violation. Is that fair? There are rules and regulations for these types of demolitions for a reason. If it was as easy as putting a chain on it, cutting a leg, and pulling everyone would do it that way and we wouldn't need all the documents required. The point is Shad is not above the law and he has to respect the rules and regulations not only for his safety but for the safety of the residents, even if they have a dirty yard.