New 75 mph speed limit map

Read story

Comments

bcgordy1 3 years, 6 months ago

Brilliant. Now more people can die on our highways because no one drives the speed limit anyway. More $ will be spent on gas as your car will get less mpg. Demand for gas will increase further pressuring prices upward. But, if you're driving from KC to Salina you will get there 20 minutes sooner driving 75 mph as compared to 65. Here's an idea: Why don't we all slow down 5 miles/hr. and be safer and pay less for gas? Why don't we stick it to the oil/gas producers for once instead of vice versa?

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 6 months ago

Speed limit in France: Highway 80 mph, 70 mph if raining.

tbaker 3 years, 6 months ago

Help me out - why do I need government to do ANY of the things you suggest? No one is forcing you to drive 75, burn more fuel or spend more money. All of those choices can and should be left up to the people.

kernal 3 years, 6 months ago

Babboy, don't know what you're complaining about. Most drivers already drive 80mph on I-70.

JNguyen 3 years, 6 months ago

I'm all for the speed increase. As a person who drives between Wichita and Lawrence at least once or twice a month the increase will be nice.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 6 months ago

Drive 80 on the Interstate for a while, and you're OK.

Drive 80 on K-10 or I-435 - and BINGO!

25 over the limit! That's a whopper of a ticket!

And your new insurance premium,,,

HighScore 3 years, 6 months ago

K-10 is 70 mph. I drive it daily to/from Olathe and am passed while going 80, never been pulled over BTW.

Ewok79 3 years, 6 months ago

your gonna jinx us & get KPH out there

BigPrune 3 years, 6 months ago

I drove 80 to topeka yesterday and got 33 mpg in a minivan. then after buying gas that was 30 cents cheaper per gallon in topeka than lawrence, i drove back to lawrence. i saved money actually driving to topeka for gas than navigating all the stop lights of lawrence for the cheapest station. I also got to shop at places lawrence hates, so my taxes went there. :)

kernal 3 years, 6 months ago

Plus Topeka still has a Baskin Robbins.

Hmmmmmm, think I feel a Lemon Custard flavor craving coming on.

John Hamm 3 years, 6 months ago

And I drove to mid-town KC today for basically the same reason. Didn't get 33mpg but still saved more than enough to justify the trip.

CLARKKENT 3 years, 6 months ago

AND I DROVE TO LINWOOD, WHICH IS CLOSER THAN TOPEKA OR K.C., AND PAID ONLY $2.42 PER GALLON. WHEN WILL LAWRENCE GET TIRED OF SCREWING US???

monkeyshoer 3 years, 6 months ago

I am looking at minivans and would love to know what you have with that gas mileage! We go across the state often and need something with good mileage!

sourpuss 3 years, 6 months ago

This will decrease revenue from speeding tickets, but it will increase revenue from truckers using our toll roads. Of course, I don't believe that KDOT tolls go into the general fund, so I think the net result may still be a loss of general revenue.

labmonkey 3 years, 6 months ago

Actually, I bet speeding tickets will increase in some areas. 69 highway from OP to Fort Scott will be 75, but it slows down to 50 and even 30 through Fort Scott, then only goes to 65 on the two lane to Pittsburg... Many tickets there from people used to driving faster and not slowing down in time for the speed limit change.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 6 months ago

Where's jackie the pontificator to tell us about the evils of our car-centric society?

MIke Mallory 3 years, 6 months ago

as a person who drives alot for work, I guarantee that the people who drive slower than the speed limit cause way more wrecks than people who drive 10-15 mph over the speed limit. And it is without saying the idiots who drive slow in the left hand lane cause alot of problems.

Mike Ford 3 years, 6 months ago

kansans don't admire Charles Darwin. However, the species will probably be thinned by all of the crazy rural drivers who tailgate me every morning as I'm driving five over the limit. I'm also a surviving child of a person killed in a car accident so I know the pain of fatal car accidents. July 24 is the 2nd anniversary of being without one of my parents.

sissezz 3 years, 6 months ago

Baskin Robbins?? Really? Where ...? i gotta hav some bubble gum!!

sissezz 3 years, 6 months ago

Baskin Robbins?? Really? Where ...? i gotta hav some bubble gum!!

Mark Kostner 3 years, 6 months ago

I say go one step further and raise the speed limit on I-70 either from Topeka to the west to 80 or 85 mph like Utah and Texas did with rural stretches of road in their states. With the exception of the stretch from Denver to Glenwood Springs, I-70 from I-15 to Topeka is a long, long drive with no cities and few large towns and very light traffic. Kansas had an 80 mph speed limit on the turnpike although I don't know if that's appropriate today since that road does run through populated areas and does carry heavy traffic. But I-70's speed limit could go up higher.