Libby Phelps and Logan Alvarez

Comments

Armored_One 2 years, 11 months ago

Dunno why this just popped up on the list of articles, but I worked for the groom's father years ago when he had an electrician's business. If the son is anything like the father, I think this young lady has landed herself one heck of a good guy.

As to her side of things, back the frick up.

We might have issues with part of her family, but unless you see her out there, chanting away with the rest of her family, store it. If she is, I've pretty sure that Dave will have a word or two to say about it. Since I don't look too closely at them while they picket, I've got no proof to the contrary.

Wish them both the best.

whats_going_on 3 years, 1 month ago

What a beautiful couple...seriously.

And awesome photo!

justsmurfy 3 years, 1 month ago

Awww! Please accept the warmest of congratulations I can convey through the internets. Hope your new life together is full of happiness and warm-gooey fuzzies!

Agnostick 3 years, 2 months ago

George_Braziller (anonymous) replies…

"If she supposedly left the 'church' in March of 2009, then why is she obviously still actively involved seven months later?"

I tried to be discreet about this and ask you via PM, but I've received no answer, so I'll ask here.

What evidence do you have that she is still involved in the cult?

I watched the YouTube video you referenced--the woman interviewed seems to be named Sarah. That's what the interviewer calls her once or twice. There is also a comment or two made about Libby's departure, and the subject is quickly brushed aside... which is probably characteristic of someone who has been conditioned and brainwashed to that degree.

So, again, what's your evidence?

08Champs 3 years, 2 months ago

I think the public curiousity about Libby is justifiable in that she spent the majority of her ilfe in a very public manner. As a child, certainly there was little choice, as an adult she is assumed to have made her own choices (and that includes leaving Westboro.)

Some posters are curious about what her current feelings are in regard to homosexuality, the military, etc. because of the extremilty of Westboro's views, and maybe they have witnessed the picketing? Maybe they recognize her from their child's high school graduation, a concert, a funeral....

Maybe they see irony in the fact that she wants to free from scrutiny and judgment about how she lives her life. Something the families burying their own, the celebrating high schoolers and military members, and the gays that are our family members, neighbors, co-workers and friends weren't given by Westboro (I can't call it a church).

Most posters have wished her well with her upcoming marriage, as do I. Most would have been happy to see her make a statement that in some way refutes the extreme views and hatefulness that Westboro represents. Everyone deserves a second chance, the benefit of the doubt, and so on, but I expect that courtesy will not be extended if her viewpoints remain unchanged.

been_there 3 years, 2 months ago

So Libby, have you changed your opinions at all about Jews, America, the military and gays? It looks like your reasons for leaving the church were personal, not about their views. Come on, tell us about how you have changed.

jstthefacts 3 years, 2 months ago

Kirk Larson 3 years, 2 months ago

We are all stuck with our families. Some have more to overcome than others. Good luck with that.

been_there 3 years, 2 months ago

libphelps says: "You don't know me and I don't know you. Get over it. We're getting happily married so stop hatin!!!" I hope this is also your new philosophy on life and you no longer are "hatin" gays, Jews, the military and America. A simple "I'm sorry about the picketing and I regret it" would assure people you have changed.

08Champs 3 years, 2 months ago

It was my understanding that you have a child? If that is not accurate, I will apologize of course.

08Champs 3 years, 2 months ago

Strange comment .. watching too much Showbiz Tonight?

The child is older - from a previous relationship from what I hear.

ophiuchus 3 years, 2 months ago

And the product of this union... Libogan? ... Logibby? ... Ligobanby?

Chicago_82 3 years, 2 months ago

Libby and Logan, congratulations on your engagement!

08Champs 3 years, 2 months ago

There is an interview Ms Phelps did with the Religion in Kansas project recently -

Counseling is never a bad idea - wish her, her fiancee, and little one well.

Kris_H 3 years, 2 months ago

I wish them both well, too. It's not easy to lose baggage from your past, especially family baggage.

However, I too have trouble looking at that face and not seeing the same face out on the street corners holding a hateful sign. How old was she in 2009? If she was over 18 then and had still been involved in the picketing activities up until then, well...she's got to expect some people remembering her in that way.

If she truly is through with all that, I hope she also at least privately is sorry for it too.

THREEBOYZZZ 3 years, 2 months ago

LIBBY HAS LEFT THE CHURCH AND HAS STARTED A NEW LIFE. I WISH HER AND LOGAN ALL THE BEST. PEOPLE ARE READING TOO MUCH INTO THE BROKEN LOCK IN THE PHOTO. LOGAN AND LIBBY ARE VERY HAPPY AND I HOPE IT STAYS THAT WAY, SHE IS A WONDERFUL ASSET TO MY FAMILY AND I LOVE HER VERY, VERY MUCH.

orangechubb 3 years, 2 months ago

Why is it OK to hate Phelps but not OK for him to hate homosexuals? I have no use for either one of them but wonder why anyone would hate someone for hating. Hate is bad even directed at Phelps.

ophiuchus 3 years, 2 months ago

Nice photo—everything so much more dramatic, in black and white.

verity 3 years, 2 months ago

Libby and Logan, congratulations! I wish you all the happiness in the world in your marriage and future life.

Agnostick 3 years, 2 months ago

Okay, it's confirmed: Libby left the church in 2009. Google "Libby Phelps" and you'll find all kinds of references to it. It's not clear if she left, or they kicked her out. Maybe the broken door discussed earlier is the clue.

She called in to a Kansas City talk radio show, "The Church of Lazlo," and had a brief talk with them. There was an mp3 file of the call at one point, but the link is broken.

A couple of other references:

ksrush 3 years, 2 months ago

Wonder how the Phelps crew would like that wedding picketed

Agnostick 3 years, 2 months ago

Wow. "Housecleaning" has certainly changed around here...

Agnostick 3 years, 2 months ago

"David Alvarez and Deana Alvarez, both of Eudora, announce the engagement of their son, Logan Alvarez, to Libby Phelps, both of Lawrence. The future groom is a graduate of Eudora High School. He attended Johnson County Community College. He has been employed with UPS since March 2010. The future bride is the daughter of Fred Jr. and Betty Phelps, Topeka. She is a graduate of Topeka West High School. She earned a Bachelor of Health Science degree from Washburn University and a Doctor of Physical Therapy degree from Kansas University Medical Center. She has been employed with Bloom & Associates Therapy since May 2008. "The couple plan a July 9, 2011, wedding at Iberostar Cozumel in Cozumel, Mexico."

While Libby is certainly a blood relation, is it possible that she has left? At least three of Fred's children left the cult--and I've heard rumors of one or two of the grandkids leaving, as well.

Mike Ford 3 years, 2 months ago

I look into that face and I see the same eyes I saw glaring at me at many street corners in Topeka, KS in the 1990's. Take away the hair and I see Fred.

verity 3 years, 2 months ago

And? Nice photo but why is it posted?

I find the lower left hand part of the photo very interesting. Looks like someone jimmied the lock.

fanaddict 3 years, 2 months ago