The A&P grocery, where Allen Press is now, was the last large grocery in downtown Lawrence. The photo was taken in the mid-20th century.

Read story

Comments

dontcallmedan 4 years, 1 month ago

Anybody know what the story was on the house just to the north of the A & P?

dontcallmedan 4 years, 1 month ago

Anybody know what the story was on the house just to the north of the A & P?

educatedintheusa 4 years, 1 month ago

None of the respondents lives in Lawrence who answered the question, "Does Lawrence need a grocery store downtown?' in the paper edition of "On the Street." Residents in East Lawrence, Brook Creek, North Lawrence, Prairie Park, Pinckney, and Old West Lawrence must drive further then many other neighborhoods in Lawrence for fresh, nutritious, and affordable groceries. The entire Lawrence community would benefit from less traffic, healthier people, and neighborhood jobs if bodegas became an integral part of our lives. To avoid automobile traffic when I ride my bicycle to grocery shop at Dillons on Massachusettes from Old West Lawrence I break the law by riding the wrong way on Rhode Island and then ride through the mud to cross Central Junior High School's fields and track.

consumer1 4 years, 1 month ago

There was grocery store on 9th and New Hampshire years ago also. That is where one of the most horific crimes was discovered in either the late seventies of early eighties. A dismembered woman was found in the dumpster. I hope This does not bring up bad memories for anyone who may read it. If it does I am sorry.

trinity 4 years, 1 month ago

aw, that picture brought to mind memories of the A&P we used to have in ottawa! and i do recall the one in lawrence, as we'd come there shopping sometimes. good memories!

TheBigW 4 years, 1 month ago

Yea I can remember going with my grandma to this store all the time, her best friend Hazel Bryant was a cashier there for many years till it closed. Boy have times and downtown changed, no all for the better IMHO.

swan_diver 4 years, 1 month ago

This tag is false. There were larger grocery stores on the north side of East 9th between New Hampshire and Rhode Island into the early 1980s.

kansasmutt 4 years, 1 month ago

I used to go to A&P with my mom every saturday morning. I can still remember pulling up in the lot in the old 59 Chevy , and helping her look for a spot up close. Hamburger was on sale most every week for 11 cents a pound i think. Those were the good ole days.