This dwelling, built in 1858, and pictured here in the late 1920s about to be razed, was the first frame house erected in the vicinity of the later site of Vinland. Much of the material used was black walnut lumber. It was constructed by George Cutter for his widowed mother, Charlotte (Varnum) Cutter and his five brothers and sisters. In 1860 it became the first home of the Coal Creek Library and in 1868 it was the first location of the newly authorized Vinland Post Office.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.