Previous   Next

What is your biggest question about Obamacare?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 30, 2013

Browse the archives

“How are smaller companies going to meet the care requirements while meeting the cost requirements?”

“How will prices be negotiated when people will pay anything for health?”

“What is it?”

“How is it different than the old system?”

Comments

avarom 10 months, 3 weeks ago

The Unaffordable Care Act is very simple....The less your monthly premium, the more you deductibles, the more your drug co-pays and the more responsiblity you share for medical cost. In most cases, these plans do not include dental or vision. But, you can obtain them for an extra fee. However, if you are indigent and make a threshold of less then approximately $25,000, you will receive help from the government, which is paid back when you start working again. And, if you do not carry any health coverage, you will be penalized when you file your taxes. Some healthly young people, may chose this as an option and take the hit on the fee, hoping nothing catastropic will occur.

If your not working, they will garnish your wages, when you start, because you owe them money for the assistance received when you were unemployed. So this Unaffordable Care Act, will get their money from you one way or another! Cheers!

All about control.........Follow the Money!

meggers 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Subsidies under the ACA will not have to be repaid when a person's income increases. The subsidy will simply be reduced or eliminated according to how much a person is earning. There will be no garnishments.

avarom 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Here is an great article about Garnishments.

If the individual was not eligible for either of those existing public programs, the regional-health care agency would enroll the individual into the lowest cost health-care plan available in that area. The lowest-cost option could be a new Medicare-like public option or a private insurance plan.

The newly covered individual would not only have access to health benefits but would also be responsible for making monthly payments with the help of a tax credit.

The exact size of the financial obligation would vary according to a person’s income (lower-income Americans would receive larger tax credits).

If a person did not meet his or her monthly financial obligation for a set period of time (perhaps a year, perhaps longer) the Edwards plan would empower the federal government to garnish an individual’s wages for purposes of collecting "back premiums with interest and collection costs."

The process, according to the Edwards campaign, would resemble the process used to collect money from Americans who are delinquent on federal student loans or child support payments.

The Edwards campaign has not put a dollar figure on the amount that would be garnished from wages because the cost of the lowest-priced plan in that region could vary and is not yet known.

jafs 10 months, 2 weeks ago

That doesn't mean you're "paying back" previously deserved subsidies.

It means that the government will collect what you rightfully owe.

unclebiff 10 months, 3 weeks ago

jafs 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Why do so many people who know little about the legislation have such definite opinions of it?

That's my biggest question right now.

Richard Payton 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Will the marketplace call center 1-800-318-2596 be overloaded with calls on Tuesday?

reasonablevoice 10 months, 3 weeks ago

I love that quoting Wikipedia and blogs counts as backing up your statements. I'm not saying that the links did/didn't have great information, but using Wikipedia and blogs as a reference doesn't really make what you said true.

nocrybabies 10 months, 3 weeks ago

What's in it? Still remains unanswered.

Seth Peterson 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Only if you refuse to acknowledge the answer and want to repeat misinformation and be dishonest with others.

LA 10 months, 3 weeks ago

@Vincent Bustamante (top photo):

Vincent, "small companies" (less than 50 employees) are not required to be a part of 'Obamacare', i.e., they are not subject to the 'Play or Pay' (Employer Mandate) which begins in 2015. On the other side, these small businesses will be able to purchase coverage for their employees through the exchanges (if they so choose, they are not required to do so).

LA

Liberty275 10 months, 3 weeks ago

"“How is it different than the old system?”"

It's like the old system, except now it is fortified with added coercion.

ridikkulus 10 months, 3 weeks ago

FINALLY! What frightens me, though, is some corporation somewhere is going to figure out a way (Yes, I said "figure", as if it were a person. Mittens said corporations are people, right?) to buy that consumer protection, and then force us to pay for it. After all, no corporation should be expected to sleep on the same set of sheets twice, and somebody has to finance "the little things"...

Liberty275 10 months, 3 weeks ago

If all they had done was offer tax incentives to insurance corporations for providing increased consumer protections like those in the plan, I could support that.

tomatogrower 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Are you heavily invested in insurance companies, Liberty275? Are you sad that your stocks won't earn you as much or that your CEO won't get the big, big bonuses, because the insurance companies have to use more of their money for actual health care? Subsidies for corporations (oil, corporate farms, banks, insurance companies), but nothing for the working poor. So compassionate of you. I forgot, you conservatives believe that corporations are people, unless they break the law.

Liberty275 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Actually, a tax incentive would stop redistribution. Since the money is never taken by the second party from the the first, it cannot be redistributed to the third.

Note that.

repaste 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Mark Twain said, "don't try to match wits with a half wit".

tomatogrower 10 months, 3 weeks ago

My question? Why are there so many deadbeat irresponsible people out there who don't want affordable health insurance? I'm tired of my taxes which goes towards my community hospital being used so you can have health care and more party money. Grow up.

Liberty275 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Did it ever, one time, just a single time, occur to you that there are people on this earth that don't want things they they don't pay for?

I don't want "affordable" anything. If I want something I will pay for it. If I cannot pay for something I do not want it.

You have severe envy problems. I could not live with myself if I suffered your covetousness.

Seth Peterson 10 months, 3 weeks ago

If by 'envy problems' you mean, basic concepts of a functional society and a general (if simplified) understanding of a large scale economy that goes beyond a five-year-old's mentality of "Give me, it's mine!" and kicking and screaming when you have to do something you don't want, even when it's the responsible thing to do. Then yes, we completely believe you could not live with yourself getting to that level of maturity and education.

Liberty275 10 months, 3 weeks ago

"Give me, it's mine!"

Right there is the problem. That's opposite of what I think. I think "don't take that, that is mine, I worked for it".

Every day, every 6 months, every year, I pay my taxes. I take money that I endure some amount of pain to earn and I send it off to the government to help pay for a social contract I never actually agreed to be part of.

I will pay my taxes because that is part of my duty as an American citizen, but I refuse to allow you to ignore the fact that I worked to earn that money before it was taken.

jafs 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Yes you earned it.

But, you have benefited in numerous ways from our society and government throughout your life.

As most of us have - we don't live in a vacuum.

tomatogrower 10 months, 3 weeks ago

So if you have cancer, but the treatment is too much, you'll just die? We aren't talking about a new car or a color TV here. We are talking about people's health. How is your underpaid checker or waiter suppose to serve you if they are sick. Or do you just believe, "Oh well, there is just another peon to replace this peon. So what."?

Lawrence Morgan 10 months, 3 weeks ago

I wonder how Liberty 275 gets his health care. Is it from a corporation or business, so he doesn't care about others?

Or is he wealthy, and he can provide it with cash up front.

I wonder if he ever has had a serious illness, and had to have doctor's care for it. How did he pay for it?

Liberty275 10 months, 3 weeks ago

We get health dental and vision through my wife's work. We are not wealthy. The most serious illness I have had is kidney stones. They required three surgeries to remove.

tomatogrower 10 months, 3 weeks ago

So if you hadn't had insurance, you would just have stayed home and suffered? Or would you have gone into incredible debt and maybe have to declare bankruptcy. Did you even look at the price of the 3 surgeries? And why, since you have insurance, you would deny insurance to your waiter or you care mechanic. It's all about "you, you, you", isn't it? Maybe they should have married the right woman.

stevieboy 10 months, 3 weeks ago

No one really knows whats in it..Nancy Pelosi said we have to vote for it before we read it.One of the most idiotic statements i have ever herad in my life..

Seth Peterson 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Except for the people that have taken the time to see what's in it; considering the information is out there, and explained in some detail.

I suppose if you want to continue to be dishonest in your posts and spread misinformation, you will probably continue to ignore these facts.

jafs 10 months, 3 weeks ago

She didn't say that.

No matter how many times people misquote her, it's still not what she said.

Carol Bowen 10 months, 2 weeks ago

"Speaking Tuesday to the 2010 Legislative Conference for the National Association of Counties, Pelosi began the windup of her healthcare pitch by alluding to the controversies over the healthcare bill and the process by which it has reached its current state. Then, just after saying, "It's going to be very, very exciting," Pelosi gaffed, telling the local elected officials assembled that Congress "[has] to pass the bill so you can find out what's in it, away from the fog of controversy."

This is an excerpt from her speech. "...away from the fog of controversy" are the words left out of interpretation.

OlDan 10 months, 3 weeks ago

"What's your biggest question about Obamacare?"

How long before it's declared a disaster and unworkable before we go to single payer, government insurance? That's really what this is about folks. The old bait 'N switch.

Carol Bowen 10 months, 2 weeks ago

People in states that did not set up exchanges and refused Medicaid are having problems enrolling, some are not covered, and they are bogging down the system. Accurate information is withheld. Kansas and Ohio created their own disasters.

tomatogrower 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Too funny. But at the same time very sad, and disgusting. On NPR, they were talking about a book called - I Don't Know. People will give opinions on things they no nothing about. I'm surprised she didn't argue with him when he pointed out they are the same thing. I mean doesn't opinion trump facts? http://www.npr.org/2013/09/18/223402246/dont-know-just-admit-it

jayhawklawrence 10 months, 2 weeks ago

My biggest question about Obamacare is whether it will work. The only way to find that out is to try it out. I am willing to do that but the Republican Party is telling us that it is Heroin. We will become addicted.

In my opinion, Heroin is what the Koch brothers are selling. No taxes. No regulations. No government. No responsibilty.

If you've got it, keep it.

What do you have to do to be considered relevant for these people? $100 million? $1 Billion?

Simply being a good person is now a laughable pursuit. You need money and ideology or you don't matter in their enlightened age.

jafs 10 months, 2 weeks ago

That's the most interesting question, of course - whether or not it will work.

I agree that in order to really know that, we'd have to implement it for a few years, probably tweak it a few times, etc.

It may be addictive, in fact, just as SS/Medicare have become. The question is whether that's destructive or not. If it works very well, and people like it, then they'll resist eliminating it, just as most people resist eliminating SS/Medicare - that doesn't mean those are bad things.

avarom 10 months, 2 weeks ago

The one great aspect of Obamacare or the ACA is that the Government is Cheap, relish Money, and like Control. So, with everyone signed up for Obamacare, I would bet they're going to be many, many cures for diseases such as; Cancer, Common colds, Aids, Blood Disease like, lupus, sjordens, leukemia, and, MS, Lou Gehrig, Diabetes, Creutzfeldt-Jakob, Polio, Flu, Autism, Mental Retardation, Asthma etc........just because they don't want everyone's bills. Also, it's a great monitoring devices for addictions......just keep that in mind, the government will know everything about you! But, try to look at the brighter side ,more scientific research and cures. Whoo-Hoo Cheers!

avarom 10 months, 2 weeks ago

The penalty increases each year, and is on a monthly basis.....so the government has a plan for you to definite sign up eventually. Older Salesmen.......call it the Bail and Switch routine. Looks like you all will get Reeled in.....lol

avarom 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I meant Bait and Switch....

avarom 10 months, 2 weeks ago

The Non-Profit Research $$$$$$ is going to flourish......and you are contributing. Thanks for Donating. ;-