Previous   Next

Have you ever taken a trip on a passenger train? Where did you go?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 1, 2013

Browse the archives

“Yes. I went from Jefferson City, Mo., to Kansas City, Mo.”

“Yes, from the suburbs of Chicago into the city.”

“No I haven’t. I’ve been on a scenic one.”

“No.”

Related story

Comments

grammaddy 1 year, 3 months ago

I went to New York {state-wine country} to see my sister.Had a 6 hour layover in Chicago. A little long but there was a LOT to see and do while I waited on my connection.I love train travel.

tomatogrower 1 year, 3 months ago

If you get a roomette or a full sleeper car, there is a first class waiting room in Chicago that is very comfortable.

Thomas Bryce 1 year, 3 months ago

Kansas City, MO. to Pittsburgh, PA for The National Boy Scout Jamboree in 1976 at Moraine State Park, PA. I wish we had more options for train Travel. I Love it.

Ronnie24 1 year, 3 months ago

From KC to ST Louis and back to kc. Love train travel, as long as I can travel in business class.

weeslicket 1 year, 3 months ago

from albuquerque to topeka and from LA to topeka on amtrack. on the EL in chicago and the trolley in Boston and the cablecars in SF and the metro in DC, if you count those. and of course, all over the british isles and europe. trainriding is awesome.

tomatogrower 1 year, 3 months ago

We travelled to Washington DC. So much more comfortable than a plane or a car. We are hoping to do a west coast trip someday. I'm all for bringing trains back. Airline travel is becoming such a hassle. We were delayed for awhile outside of Washington, but it was so much more comfortable than being delayed in an airport, and the food is good.

George_Braziller 1 year, 3 months ago

Did it first about 1964 when I was a wee lad with my mom and sister. Rode from Ellsworth, Kansas to Cheyenne, Wyoming and I still remember how horrible it was. I was three, my sister was two and my mom was going crazy.

She didn't bring any food because she assumed there would be a dining car. All I remember is that it was hot as hell, no air conditioning, and the water fountain didn't work.

Eugehne Normandin 1 year, 3 months ago

news flash it is not 1964 any more the train has air conditioning and food services.

George_Braziller 1 year, 3 months ago

News flash. The question was if you had ever taken a trip on a passenger train. I was just recounting my first experience.

I've done plenty of travel by train since however I always bring my own food. Train "food" is worse than anything you'll find in a convenience store.

Wayne James 1 year, 3 months ago

From Larryville to Topeka when I was a student at Pinckney Elem." back in the day" to visit the State's Capitol. Again when I was a 19yro kid heading for San Antonio & Boot Camp @ Lackland AFB. in 1964. "Those were the days my friend, we thought they would never end, those were the days my friend.

LadyWolf 1 year, 3 months ago

Oh, train travel! Took my 2 kids from Lawrence to Milwaukee about 35 years ago. We had a blast! Good times and memories but, yes! I brought food. Lots of it, in a funny little red suitcase. If those "kids" read this they will know it was them :)

blindrabbit 1 year, 3 months ago

This year did a 12,000 mile Amtrak 15 day pass from Lawrence to L.A. to Seattle to Chicago, to San Antonio, to L.A. (again) to Sacramento, to Chicago (again) and finally back to Lawrence. Fun, but darned near killed me. Rode the Southwest Chief, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Texas Eagle, Southern Limited, San Joaquin, California Zephyr and finally back on the Southwest Chief.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 3 months ago

I had a ride on a full sized passenger train once, and it was awesome. I rode from Grand Central Station in Manhattan to Great Neck, New York. The best part was that I could have a drink on the train at age 19, when the drinking age in Kansas was 21! The ride was very smooth, and like all of the trains serving the New York City area, it was powered by electricity alone, that is, they do not burn diesel in the city.

But that wasn't my first train ride. Lakeside Amusement Park in Denver, Colorado has a miniature passenger train that operates coal burning steam locomotives. The tracks are only 22 inch gauge! I rode around the lake a few times, and got off the train exactly where I had boarded it.

The notable thing about that steam train is that the miniature steam locomotives were built especially for the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair, and there were only two of them ever built. Both of them are at Lakeside.

And, the notable thing about Lakeside is that it is one of the oldest amusement parks in the United States, having opened in 1908.

roadwarrior 1 year, 3 months ago

envious of Mike's comment - I traveled from Denver to Pocatello Idaho 1983 via the rocky mountain tracks - unbelievable track placement in many situations giving incredibly beautiful views. Ski party groups got on and off and livened up the trip several times. Utah border collected all alcohol and locked up the liquor cabinets. LOL. Silly. But the countryside in Utah was, in itself, quite lovely to see. Only downside - had been on the train about 4 hours when I saw a sign out the window "Denver 152 miles" that gave me pause - but once there was a view the time past quite pleasantly.