Previous   Next

What was your favorite book as a kid?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 1, 2013

Browse the archives

“‘The Penderwicks’ (by Jeanne Birdsall). I have sisters and it’s about four sisters. It’s sweet, it’s simple, it’s kind.”

“I think my favorite was those ‘Eyewitness’ books.”

“‘The Very Hungry Caterpillar,’ basically Eric Carle books.”

Related story

Comments

verity 9 months, 2 weeks ago

"Cheaper by the Dozen"

"Rabbit Hill"---I think it's time to read it again.

HomeSlice 9 months, 2 weeks ago

"The Mad Scientist Club". Inspired many of my own experiments and adventures..

Also devoured the Hardy Boys books, and my brother's Tom Swift books.

Good stuff.

L7 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Read a lot of Hardy Boys, then at puberty it was Playboy. Someone gave my dad a subscription and he always left them stacked in a bookcase, on the bottom shelf, in the dining room. Looking back, I think he did it on purpose for my older brothers and then me.

grammaddy 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Yertl the Turtle and Other Stories- Dr. Seuss

seagull 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Make Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey Bobsey Twins Nancy Drew

Leslie Swearingen 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I loved Travis McGee, Also Agatha Christie, and so many others. I was lucky enough to live where there was a weeping willow by a stream and summers I would sit under the tree on the grass with my dog Spot and read until I fell asleep. It was on our property down in the hill country. Back then each new day was wonderful and glorious.

I was a tomboy and tracked though the woods and gullies with my faithful companion, Spot and carried a homemade bow and arrow. Those were the days.

By the way, Stephen King read John D. McDonald when he was growing up. Oh, and Max Brand, I forgot about him and Louis L'Amour.

wikkawikka 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I too enjoyed Encyclopedia Brown, but graduated to novels like; The Deep Blue Goodbye, Nightmare in Pink, Bright Orange for the Shroud , A Deadly Shade of Gold and so on.

George_Braziller 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I discovered the Hardy Boys series one summer when I was about ten. I'd go to our tiny public library and check out four or five at a time. When I'd get to the end of one book I'd put it down, pick up another, and start on it.

rockchalker52 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I liked all of the Seuss books as a little guy. When I was about 12 I got ahold of Arthur Hailey's "Airport" & thought I was ever so worldly & sophisticated.

tomatogrower 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Trixie Belden!!! Those were my favorites. I had a fourth grade teacher who read the Little House on the Prairie books to us right after lunch. It was great!

Finnbar1 9 months, 2 weeks ago

'Little House on the Prairie' trilogy 'Trixie Belden' series 'Hardy Boys' and to a lesser degree' Nancy Drew' and my Mom's oldy 'bobbsey Twin' books.

Topple 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs

jane_doe 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Hi Kelly!

I loved the Ramona series by Beverly Cleary. And my sister read the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings by Tolken to me. And she read me Stephen King too.

Explains a lot, huh?

Benjamin Roberts 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Early on, when real reading first grabbed hold of me:

Then, as I grew older:

make_a_difference 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Beautiful Joe - Margaret Marshall Saunders

Published in 1893 and based on a true story. It's the story of a dog rescued from extreme & cruel abuse by a loving family. It's told from the narrative of the dog. Interestingly done. Ms Saunders wrote it as a story for a Humane Society contest; which it won & was published the following year as a novel. It received world wide attention...and this was in the late 1890s.

The Little House on the Prairie series - Laura Ingalls Wilder

There was another which I read multiple times & somehow never committed the title to memory. Just don't know how that can possibly be, but it is! The story of a woman named Polly traveling with a wagon train (west?) as an independant person. Dressed in the clothing of a man; riding astride a horse, etc. Not acceptable behavior for a female at that time. I have tried several times to track this book down, but no luck. How I ever read this (multiple times!) & don't know the title is beyond me. I would blame the fact that I was 8-10 years old, but I read the other two around the same time.