Previous   Next

Do you think KU should raise admission standards?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 26, 2012

Browse the archives

“I don’t think so. How important is education in this country? Lawrence is a great town, why not get more people here?”

“ Sure, why not? If they are trying to look like a more prestigious school, then yes. ”

“ I say yes. If you want elite students, raise the standards.”

“ No. It’s a state university supported by the state and should accept in-state students.”

Comments

Binder1 1 year, 4 months ago

I've not forgotten the time I went with a friend to the Union building to get his bus pass. I waited with him in line, and there were two newly admitted students behind us. At one point I began paying attention to their conversation, and it went like this:

"No, I didn't. Which one did you end up with?"

"I got stuck with anthropology."

"What's that?"

"Study of insects or something."

I remember thinking, "How are you here?!"

avarom 1 year, 4 months ago

Maybe KU is afraid to raise the standards.....they want to increase attendance, not decrease it!!

Thinking_Out_Loud 1 year, 4 months ago

I think Tom Long's point would be valid, if there was actually substantial state support. I wonder if it's time for the state to just stop pretending and unfund its universities.

Monty Amick 1 year, 4 months ago

trot line

not even gonna explain what the snood is........

JackMcKee 1 year, 4 months ago

P.S., I think you're missing Taylor's photo.

g_rock 1 year, 4 months ago

Hey...they let in ku_law.....FIRST in the class!

SOS 1 year, 4 months ago

crop line? Was that in the Dylan version?

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 4 months ago

"I graduated cum laude from a good law school."

I doubt it. I retained you once and you were awful. I would have been better off defending myself, you jerk.

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 4 months ago

"Did you know they even let kids in that don't know how to skin out a deer or fillet a crappie?"

And we can skin a buck; we can run a crop line And a country boy can survive Country folks can survive

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 4 months ago

"Lawrence is a great town, why not get more people here?”

Yah, why not? Let's get more kids to come to Lawrence to fill all of the crappie minimum wage jobs since there's nothing else in this desolate wasteland of a town.

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 4 months ago

If anything they should lower them so they can make more money. They already have a lot. Hell, they're still paying Turner Allen off. But I guess you can never have too much money. If the standards are the same as they were in the 80's then they're pretty low. I hardly ever went to class and I gadjiated. Actually I think the whole KU experience contributed to my alcoholism. I should sue them.

My_Life 1 year, 4 months ago

After reading these comments, it seems they should have raised the admission standards years ago. But honestly, who even cares? It's KU.

BABBOY 1 year, 4 months ago

Unlike the jayhawklawrence above who needs to stroke himself to feel like he is an intellectual, I would not raise the admission standards.

The reality is the public school system sucks.

The higher standards is elitist BS.

Give the kids a chance to make something of themselves......

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 4 months ago

Are they not doing that already through tuition hikes?

prospector 1 year, 4 months ago

Let all the high school grads in that have the desire.

Sink or Swim

irtnog2001 1 year, 4 months ago

I think anything resulting in smaller class sizes and better teachers (i,e, fewer TAs) is a good thing. However, if this is not the result it will not work in raising KU's reputation or the education it provides undergraduates. Like it or not, this is a tax supported school and it is time for the citizens to join this debate and make their wishes known.

In_God_we_trust 1 year, 4 months ago

Colleges were created to provide an education to those who, in the public, desire an education. It was not intended for a college to be "elite" or educate only the "elite rich". It was not intended for a college, especially a State funded college such as KU or KSU, to regulate who they can accept, just so they look good or better than the next college, according to what club they let in. If KU wants to "raise the bar", they should do it without State funding. All State funding should be cut and returned to the tax payers.

autie 1 year, 4 months ago

CW, its you gots your diploma and I gots mined to. Them better to teach you all how to thinks and not whats to thinks like them brownbackerstands.

CWGOKU 1 year, 4 months ago

Fine with me, I have my diploma... or is it, I gots my diploma...

g_rock 1 year, 4 months ago

What does it say about the teaching skill of KU if we only want the smart ones in the first place? Shouldn't they teach them something before they graduate? Or have like....standards to graduate?

I say raise the bar, lower the bar....we know they just come for the bar anyway.

rockchalker52 1 year, 4 months ago

What 'zactly do they want folks to admit to? Everyone's guilty of something.

geekin_topekan 1 year, 4 months ago

Larry said: "Good parenting makes smart kids, not schools."

Blaming their already underrepresented parents is in the first clause of our Constitution here in the new White Republic of Kansas.

On the Dream Act: "If my parents robbed a bank (a crime), do I get to keep the money?" Answer: No, but you do get to go to prison with them.

jayhawklawrence 1 year, 4 months ago

In order for KU to become a leader in education, they have to have a courageous vision and commit to it. You have to wonder why it took so long to propose something that is really a no brainer. Whatever is motivating this, I would take it as a win-win. I would focus on quality and not quantity and find ways to work more with Community Colleges, High Schools and Votech Programs which may include apprentice programs involving industry.

Government leaders are looking at Community Colleges as being able to provide more of what we need as a nation to prepare our workforce today and in the future.

Community Colleges are doing a much better job of providing training and skill sets that people can actually use right away. KU needs to find the right balance by working closely with other educational assets in the area by looking at them as partners and not competitors.

If we expect higher standards in our students, then we are cheating those students if we don't expect higher standards from our teachers. Students arriving at KU should be better prepared and their expectations for higher learning should be met with the highest quality teaching possible.

It is time for KU to take a leap forward and address many issues if they want to be a great University known for something other than basketball.

geekin_topekan 1 year, 4 months ago

In the new White Republic of Kansas, the dark kids shall remain forever an underclass. We will defund their schools, blame their parents for not having better jobs and leave them to beg for whatever school funding is left over.

In higher education institutions, the admission standards shall reflect this effort by being set just above what the underclass would be able to achieve with their meager funds.

We will give tax exemptions to those who will employ the underclass. This will ensure that we will always have white-majority in power, the underclass will be forever in our service.

autie 1 year, 4 months ago

Did you know they even let kids in that don't know how to skin out a deer or fillet a crappie? Yes, they need to raise the bar a bit.

RoeDapple 1 year, 4 months ago

I don't think KU cares what I think . . .

Andini 1 year, 4 months ago

Yes. No more people like CWGOKU.