Previous   Next

Do you have any special tricks for keeping your gas or heating bill low?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 14, 2012

Browse the archives

“ We keep our thermostat at 60, and we use space heaters.”

“ I close the doors in my house to make it a smaller room. And I have a big favorite blanket.”

“ I live in such an old house. Those window seals you hair dry on the window sill work pretty good.”

“ We put the blankets on the water heater. We keep the doors closed.”

Comments

LogicMan 2 years, 1 month ago

I find snacking on Soylent Green keeps me all warm inside. They are a little chewy though.

jonas_opines 2 years, 1 month ago

Yep. I moved to a state with superior weather.

Eugehne Normandin 2 years, 1 month ago

I am still waiting for someone to respond with a special trick instead of common sense.

Ken Lassman 2 years, 1 month ago

OK. One trick to keeping your heating bills low is to store them in the basement. If you have a dirt floor basement or crawl space, you can dig a hole in your floor to lower them even more. I've considered mailing mine to a resort on the Dead Sea, the lowest point on the planet, too, but never got around to it. Anyone know someone in the Wichita area doing horizontal oil drilling? I hear they drill down 4-6,000 feet to reach the oil bearing strata, so you could try to convince them to scotch tape your bill into the drillling tip and that trick should get you about as low of a bill as I can think of.

labmonkey 2 years, 1 month ago

But that is a good way to generate body heat.

rockchalker52 2 years, 1 month ago

No worries. Gingrich was in town & enough hot air flew outa that gas bag to keep me warm until spring.

RoeDapple 2 years, 1 month ago

I get hot under the collar every time my electric bill shows up.

bevy 2 years, 1 month ago

I take advantage of the level pay plan from the gas company. I pay the same amount each month all year, and it generally balances out so that I don't have any nasty surprises in the winter. In fact, this fall I haven't had to pay for 2 months straight, because they applied the overage I paid in the summer months. The monthly payment is based on the average of your total usage for the previous year. It's great for budgeting because I can always know within a few dollars how much it will be. I do this on my electric bill as well.

This doesn't lower my usage, but it does keep me from needing paramedics on standby when I open the bill in the winter months. Now if I can just convince my husband that he can wear pants and socks in the house instead of shorts, so he will stop turning up the thermostat, we can start working on the usage part of the equation.

Armored_One 2 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, I have that issue with my kids. THe cure was a locking box over the thermostat, like businesses use. Now they usually stay mostly dressed and my gas bill isn't through the roof... beyond that, it's just common sense...

Eddie_Haskell 2 years, 1 month ago

I lock myself in the bathroom. I'm in there most of the time anyway.

gphawk89 2 years, 1 month ago

Seal and Insulate. Seal and insulate. In the six years I've lived in my current house, I've sealed air leaks and added insulation to the point that my heating (and cooling) bills are about half what they were when I moved in.

beatrice 2 years, 1 month ago

Live where it is warm.

Only use the camera's flash function randomly.

somedude20 2 years, 1 month ago

Since "the force" removed my post for writting that I pray to Satan to keep warm...that I walk around the house and do Satanic things to keep warm and that praying to the Devil keeps ya warm, let me repost it.....LJW, if people can post (and have them stay) about praying to this "jesus" cat and promote their views as to why this "god" dog is special, then why is Satan so bad? They are BOTH FAKE!!!!

beauty fades but dumb is forever...believe in SATAN

beatrice 2 years, 1 month ago

"There ain't no devil / It's just God when he's drunk" -- Tom Waits

Eddie_Haskell 2 years, 1 month ago

50 years of the Rolling Stones. Really. Let's see. They started off as Jagger, Richards, Jones, Wyman and Watts.1969 Jones got fired and died, replaced by Mick Taylor. Taylor quit 1975, Wood hired and made an official Stone. Many keyboard players and extra musicians added. Wyman retires, replaced by Daryl Jones, bassist supreme, but made a paid employee instead of a Stone. Basically, 50 years of Jagger, Richards, and Watts. Still better than The Two, those guys who sang My Generation.

rockchalker52 2 years, 1 month ago

The Stones have that Jumpin' Jack fella in charge of their gas.

beatrice 2 years, 1 month ago

Closing with ebonics -- very telling.

Remember if you were voting against "free stuff" for the 47%, then you voted for "free stuff" for the 1%. The numbers were against you.

Eddie_Haskell 2 years, 1 month ago

"sometimes, dead is better!"

Guns n' Roses is now Dead n' Gone..........Great vid, somedude! Jimmy is a walking testimonial for the Gibson Les Paul.

Eddie_Haskell 2 years, 1 month ago

That video really gives me a feeling of solidarity. The outline of RP's little package in his hip-hugging bells. The JPJ spacesuit and Prince Valiant hair. The only thing that outlives trendiness is the J. Page ZOSO suit.

Katara 2 years, 1 month ago

I have cats - nature's fuzzy slippers.