Previous   Next

What was your favorite toy as a child?

Asked at Asked on Massachusetts Street on July 27, 2012

Browse the archives

“My wooden sword I got at the Renaissance Fair; It later broke on a camping trip, but I still have pieces of it somewhere.”

““Barbies, Legos or my Ferby; (The Ferby) walked and talked, but it would get up in the middle of night and make noise, which was creepy so I gave it away.” ”

“It was a green Tyranasaurus Rex and it had a little battery pack; it would move and roar and its eyes would flash.”

“My G.I. Joe helicopter man.”

Comments

scopi_guy 1 year, 8 months ago

Micronauts! From the later 70s. That's what I got for birthday and Christmas for a couple of years in a row. I remember buying some of the smaller sets with my allowance at TG&Y.

The Mattel Thingmakers were the best toys ever invented. I played with my older brother and sister's sets until you couldn't buy the goop anymore. Then the parents tossed out all of the sets. It's cost me a lot of $$$ to replace them over the years, but it's worth it. The best set was the Peanuts Cartoon Maker. I remember when we'd run out of white or peach colored goop, making yellow Snoopys and blue Lucys.

The smell of that stuff cooking...getting burned on the molds or the elements, and watching the water instantly hiss and boil when you'd lower the mold into the red plastic cooling tray full of water...great fun.

mikekt 1 year, 8 months ago

I'd have to say it was HO Toy Trains, i had a Schwinn Bike that gave me the ability to roam with my friends ( we would go to the Plaza or to 63rd & Brookside in KC & we would mail order away for "heavy duty fireworks assortments", that were over the top, for 4th of July ( i saw too many ww2 films, as a kid.... & blew up tons of "Revel" model planes, tanks, boats, .....every 4th ) It's a wonder that with strings of 2 inchers, M-80s, Bulldogs, Cherry bombs ( by the gross ( 144 )), Real Arial Bombs & Real Rockets ( that made the pop bottle ones seem boring ) that i didn't blow myself up, or that the neighbors didn't get over being patriotic....... & strangle me & my company of friends !

Deja Coffin 1 year, 8 months ago

Did anyone else have one of these? I still have my Wrinkles Dog!!

tange 1 year, 8 months ago

Marbles. Super Ball. Assorted robots destined for the parts bin.

/ I always wanted a prism

birdsandflowers 1 year, 8 months ago

My Thumbelina Doll and jingle jump. I'll be shocked if anyone remembers these two things.

pizzapete 1 year, 8 months ago

I still have an original tickle me emo kid that I got at the Replay Lounge when it first opened.

JJE007 1 year, 8 months ago

I'd say a funky bike (made in Australia) that my dad brought home from a business trip bu it was more "useful transportation" than "toy". Kids in the neighborhood LIVED on their bikes.

I did enjoy another wheeled vehicle which fit into the toy category. It was a bare bones peddle car, that looked something like this: http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/3/0/4/5/3/7/webimg/547628810_tp.jpg

LadyJ 1 year, 8 months ago

I remember the plank skateboard, had one of those. My dad always had old tires in the garage. We had countless tire rolling races down the alley. Hands got a little black though. Let's see, our roof had lots of angles on it, used to crawl out the window and run around up there. Now, I'm surprised I didn't kill myself. Then there was the time dad had a big pile of sand delivered for something or the other. I would climb up on the garage roof and jump off it into the sand. Did a lot of tree climbing too. Would you believe I'm scared of heights now? Come to think of it, I don't seem to remember having very many toys other than a few dolls. We played on the railroad tracks down by the river a lot and did a lot of exploring in the woods. Did I mention we didn't get a lot of parental supervision?

grammaddy 1 year, 8 months ago

I had a couple. My Chatty Cathy doll and my Mattel Thingmaker. I loved hiding the bugs I made in my parents coffee, under their pillows, etc. The Thingmaker 'disappeared' before it was a year old. I blame it on insurgents.

Lana Christie-Hayes 1 year, 8 months ago

My Chrissy a Velvet dolls, with the growing hair! and Easy Bake Oven.

rockchalker52 1 year, 8 months ago

Well, I know it's Saturday & all, but I thought we'd see a bunch more toys listed by now. Y'all musta been a stodgy bunch. Here are some more from my kid days:

powder blue pedal car - that thing was a fort on wheels, get up a head of steam & play chicken with the neighbor kid on his trike. Mrs52 had one. I guess she was a regular Axle Annie back in the day, careening down the hillside.

Skateboard - retro style, a plank with wheels. My next door neighbor went a$$ over elbow off of it & broke her wrist. Her mom went into hysterics, so my dad took 'em to the hospital where they set the wrist & gave 'em both a shot.

tire swing - it hung from the old elm tree which has long been gone. used to jump onto it from the picnic table & swing oh so high. Pro tip: when jumping be careful how you land on that thing, if you hear what I'm sayin.

autie 1 year, 8 months ago

prospector;, the coolest of the cool was that ten speed sting ray style....and the best I ever gots was a new banana seat and some goose necks that I had to put on myself.....bout 1965 or so.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 8 months ago

"My .20 gauge Ithaca side by side. I began slaughtering defenseless animals at a very early age." Autie

Defenseless? Prairie Squid have been known to eat small children. Especially the Trap Door variety.

thebcman 1 year, 8 months ago

my cat .. a beautiful maine coon named Ringo

autie 1 year, 8 months ago

John Spencer 1 year, 8 months ago

I remember hearing my Mom crying, while talking to my Dad, about not enough money to get a box of legos and him with a cracking voice saying something like "we'll figure something out". I always wondered what they gave up to get them, as they were under the tree Christmas day. I think I was 6 or so, best present ever.

blue73harley 1 year, 8 months ago

I think I answered this question before with my Mattel Fanner 6-shooter so this time I will go with my first GI Joe. Hey, it ain't no doll! It's an action figure.

(R_I will probably relate this answer to why I drive a Ford Escape.)

My_Life 1 year, 8 months ago

The simple things in life are best. Like walking on dried mud with bare feet after it has curled up in the hot sun. Never named any sticks. Maybe I should? Spanky. Switch. Branch. Joy. Shift. Twiggy. Memory. Hockey.

Sticks and stones, hummm........, I think they go together. Indyan has been bugging me for a playmate.

riverdrifter 1 year, 8 months ago

The first was a Tonka truck but that was quickly replaced by a toy Browning over/under shotgun. Now I've got two of the grownup versions -plus a Kreighoff K-80.

RoeDapple 1 year, 8 months ago

rocks and sticks. never named 'em though.

Norma Jeane Baker 1 year, 8 months ago

Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots. The originals, not the crappy ones.

g_rock 1 year, 8 months ago

oh and my family would kill me if I didn't mention the train...

g_rock 1 year, 8 months ago

sit and spin

easy bake

barbies

sand box

fake legos cause we wuz poor

My uncle thought I was a boy and would buy me boy toys....favorite of which was the commemorative bicnetinnial rip cord smash up derby cars.

barbkm 1 year, 8 months ago

My Green Machine, hands down. That thing cornered like it was on rails.

rockchalker52 1 year, 8 months ago

My friend, Gus, was so poor he didn't have toys. He told me once that he was glad he was born a boy so that he had something to play with.

3up3down 1 year, 8 months ago

Red Rider Model 200 Range Master BB gun with a compass in the wooden stock.

rockchalker52 1 year, 8 months ago

Aw, I gotta choose just one? Ok, my toy trucks. I have a firetruck, a dump truck & a garbage truck. I will let you play with them, but be careful! I just got them 55 years ago.

Honorable mentions: Hula Hoop, pogo stick, slinky & slot cars.