Previous   Next

Have you ever seen a bald eagle?

Asked at Dillons, 3000 W. Sixth St. on January 21, 2012

Browse the archives

“I think so, at Clinton Lake.”

“Yes, at Riverfront Mall, years ago.”

“I’ve seen eagles but not a bald eagle.”

“Yes, on the riverfront. And once at a KU game.”

Related story

Comments

volleydad 2 years, 2 months ago

Many times - closest 'real' encounter was one that perched in a nearby tree while deer hunting in north central kansas. Everything in the forest went dead quiet for the entire 30 minutes it was there. It let out a couple of screams/calls that would make your blood run cold. Majestic creatures.

One of those banner days - had a peregrine falcon land on a branch about eight feet away from me - I think we both surprised the cr*p out of each other!

ShePrecedes 2 years, 2 months ago

Yeppers. In several places in Kansas.

bevy 2 years, 2 months ago

I have seen bald eagles many times, but since last year, when I saw one eating roadkill on the side of old 24 near Perry, they don't seem nearly as majestic as before.

beatrice 2 years, 2 months ago

Bald Eagle? No, they all have pretty good hair, but that guy from Poison is bald. Why you think he always wears a do-rag?

prospector 2 years, 2 months ago

Medium rare, Gertrude. Oh, those are some pretty balloons.

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 2 months ago

"My daughter told me that exercise and reducing intake of red meat will help me avert dementia."

She's right. But, would you want to be near the end of your life not remembering eating delicious steak or being at the end of your life having not enjoyed the deliciousness of red meat and regretting that decision?

RoeDapple 2 years, 2 months ago

My daughtesrs tell me stuff all the time but I forget . . what . .

autie 2 years, 2 months ago

I just had a horrible thought. One of baby robins in the nest.

Does anybody else smell onions? My daughter told me that exercise and reducing intake of red meat will help me avert dementia. I had to go ask my wife why the neighbor kid keeps coming over to tell me how to live my life.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 2 months ago

I never would have dreamed that Newt is such a ladies man. I guess sometimes you really can judge a book by it's cover.

thuja 2 years, 2 months ago

Northern Cardinal. I forgot some.

The Flicker was just drinking at the birdbath.
Would dip & take a sip, then look at sky, dip, sky, dip, sky.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 2 months ago

Oakland in the 70's. Hell, Oakland now. I love SF, I love the Bay. But I'm not big on the wine and cheese crowd, so I'll take Oakland. I'd even live in Hayward or Richmond. The dirty and the dangerous. That's how I roll.

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 2 months ago

"Cooper's Hawk (exciting when this one shows up)"

We have a bunch of ivy on one of the walls at work. Sparrows nest in there. Olympic amounts of not getting work done occurs when the Cooper's Hawk shows up. The dude is stealth and deadly.

RoeDapple 2 years, 2 months ago

I have failed to appreciate bea's sense of humor in the past. But still wouldn't cross her . . .

Rara_Avis 2 years, 2 months ago

Bea, you really make me sick, in a completely envious way. And quit posting pics of high-tech Japanese love robots.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 2 months ago

Just once, but it was wearing a merkin, so technically it wasn't bald.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 2 months ago

I've seen eagles out at Clinton Lake and along the Kaw. Saw about a dozen at one time in Sitka back in November.

thuja 2 years, 2 months ago

List of birds regularly at and around my bird feeder & trees & ground:

House Sparrow House Finch/ Purple Finch? American Goldfinch Dark-eyed Junco Mourning Dove American Cardinal Black-capped Chickadee White-breasted Nuthatch Brown Creeper Downy Woodpecker Red-bellied Woodpecker Yellow-bellied Sapsucker Northern Flicker Golden-crowned Kinglet Cooper's Hawk (exciting when this one shows up)

no Bald Eagles yet.

thebcman 2 years, 2 months ago

If you're still running Windows 95 .. you might be a redneck.

LadyJ 2 years, 2 months ago

Does having a supply of various rolls of duck tape in different colors and designs make you a redneck?

RoeDapple 2 years, 2 months ago

"Have you ever seen a bald eagle?"

Sounds like a great opening line at a redneck bar!

looza 2 years, 2 months ago

no...but I did see an eagle with a crew cut

RoeDapple 2 years, 2 months ago

Apparently the kids have been talking. dammit.

LadyJ 2 years, 2 months ago

If the kids are not allowed to talk about "the contraption" in the basement or garage, you might be a redneck.

Mixolydian 2 years, 2 months ago

When I go to Alaska I see them all the time. They're almost like pigeons up there.

tange 2 years, 2 months ago

If you've seen a bald eagle, then you might just be a redneck?

RoeDapple 2 years, 2 months ago

Poured 5 gallons of gas around the perimeter of a brush pile 30 feet across and 20 feet high. Tossed a gas soaked burning "rag on a stick" grenade from bout 10 feet away. Whoosh! We're talking mushroom cloud / pull the air right outa your lungs! Four of us putting out shrapnel fires out in the adjoining pasture.

Had a couple of city folks out for a visit. Doubt seriously if they ever come back.

LadyJ 2 years, 2 months ago

If you have to take out a loan to fix your 15 yr old car, you might be a redneck.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 2 months ago

If there's more than a square yard of Bondo on your X-wing, you may be a redneck Jedi.

RoeDapple 2 years, 2 months ago

Wow . . . I have never experienced leftover sausage gravy!

autie 2 years, 2 months ago

If you threaten people with physical violence for shooting holes in your kayak, you might be a redneck.

If your couzins drives a ford escort, you ARE a redneck.

If you use the leftover sausage gravy for potato chip dip, you might be a redneck.

RoeDapple 2 years, 2 months ago

As part of the 99% Redneckers, I might add that the bonfire was so hot my quilted nylon jacket had to be cut off of me . . . but my face tanned nicely.

LadyJ 2 years, 2 months ago

Since we just did this subject, it's all right to get off topic, right? Was listening to some of Jeff Foxworthy's "you might be a redneck" recordings and got me to thinking he could do a "you might be part of the 99%" one. Such as, if you wash out your Zip lock bags and reuse them, you might be one of the 99%. If you only pay the overdue amount on your bills, you might be part of the 99%. If you go to the golf course to find golf balls to shoot on the Kaw, you might be part of the 99%.

prospector 2 years, 2 months ago

Sure, but not since having the new Eagle's Nest IPA at the Free State Brewery. I am sure I will be seeing more of both.

RoeDapple 2 years, 2 months ago

Whoa! Last night we had a bonfire . . probably coulda seen it from . . Oklahoma. Today it is 15 degrees warmer than yesterday. My apologies for global warming.

marymo70 2 years, 2 months ago

Saw a rehabbed bald eagle released on 4th of July in NC.

profound 2 years, 2 months ago

Only one that had been recycled.

labmonkey 2 years, 2 months ago

Donavon McNabb shaved his head when he played in Philadelphia... does that count?