Previous   Next

What’s a good remedy for a cold?

Asked at Dillons, 1015 W. 23rd St. on January 20, 2012

Browse the archives

“Take NyQuil and sleep.”

“A good hot toddy helps. ”

“Lots of water and sleep.”

“Hot lemon water.”

Related story

Comments

rockchalker52 2 years, 3 months ago

LJWorld has Vicky in the ad rotation. It sez she wants to talk to me on FB. Vicky looks like she could clear your sinuses just fine. We're talkin' really old-fashioned remedies.

nut_case 2 years, 3 months ago

“Take NyQuil and sleep.”

— Kellie Osburn, stay-at-home mom, Lawrence

Ahh, if only it were that easy. Thanks to all the tweakers out there, it's more like:

Garb your photo ID, major credit card and note from your mother - get a friend to grab their paperwork too. Road trip to the local Wallgreens/CVS, etc. Present all your paperwork, sign a couple sheets of paper and plonk down your hard earned money to buy one single bottle of 'real' NyQuil - don't even attempt to buy two, lest you instantly raise eyebrows and draw ire of the staff - because you might me running a lab. Have your friend also purchase one single cold medicine - you hate to waste the whole trip for nothing.

So now you have two precious packages of cold medicine - you dang well hope your cold is cured and you don't have to buy another package for at least a few months...because you might be running a lab. You also hope you haven't bought any other 'watched' items such as a bottle of alcohol, a pack of batteries, or various other every day items...otherwise you might be running a lab!

Rara_Avis 2 years, 3 months ago

Bob barker grooming products remove hair and skin, too. The shampoo/body wash makes a good paint remover.

beatrice 2 years, 3 months ago

Microwave ovens are evil. Anything that can make that much heat without fire is obviously from the Devil. -- Ellen Degeneres (paraphrased)

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 3 months ago

"I don't go near hand sanitizer" - Rara Good. Do you know who owns Purell? Pfizer. Do you know owns Pfizer? Johnson & Johnson.
Do you know who the biggest producer of diphenhydramine is? Johnson & Johnson Why do they own and sell Purell? Because they know how ineffective it is at killing germs and viruses. That way they can sell more diphenhydramine.

Did you know that just rinsing your hands in running tap water removes over 96% of viruses? Purell? Only 46%.

Skip the hand sanitizer, get your self a good bar of lye soap. Hell, even Bob Barker markets and sells soap that effectively removes viruses.

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

Diphenhydramine is tame. When I was a kid they used thalidomide for a sedative. My cousin was born with little flaps for arms and legs after his mom had it prescribed to her. No socks. No gloves. Just wrapped him up in a blanket and throwed him over our shoulder like a gunny sack. Didn't know no better I guess.

autie 2 years, 3 months ago

I feel the need to hear the rush of wings over the trees along the river bank. I need to go find my socks first.
Rara, diphenhydramine is one of the worlds best wonder drugs. It is good for what ails you.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 3 months ago

I don't go near hand sanitizer. Big trigger. Smells like McCormick 100 proof. Next thing I know I'm drinking it. Doesn't work. So I'm off to the liquor store, then I wake up in the joint. I'm against bathing in general. Like Elvis, I have a phobia about falling in the shower. So I take what he called a "whore's bath". I get a dirty washcloth and wipe myself down. And I use a lot of perfume. I learned that from the French.

prospector 2 years, 3 months ago

The soup of the day keeps colds away. The beer surely helps.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 3 months ago

"I wash my hands all the time" - T_O_B

Glad to see another disciple of Ignaz Semmelweis.

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 3 months ago

"snap_pop_no_crackle(anonymous) says… Biscuits & gravy"

Oh, hell yes. Feed a cold.

I also agree with RI. Prevention. I wash my hands all the time. Also, the lady at the bus stop for my kid told me Wednesday that four of the seven kids there were out puking (one was even at Children's Mercy.) I got out of there in a nanosecond.

"couple of big belts of nyquil followed by a scotch chaser and a big glass of ice water....then go to bed for two days" Autie

For a cold? Seems a bit much. The sleeping for two days part. I'd get bed sores.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 3 months ago

Careful with Nyquil or any over the counter sleep aid. The active ingredient is usually diphenhydramine or some other antihistamine. If you take too much you get what I call a kickback, the complete opposite. I took almost a whole bottle of Nytol once. I started shaking like crazy and bouncing off the walls. I bet I saw Jesus, too.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 3 months ago

A warm. I ruptured my eardrum once. I could actually blow cigarette smoke out of my ear. I guess that's why doctors used to start off an exam with HEENT. Incidentally, I never get a cold, but when I do, I find the best remedy to be smoking as many cigarettes as humanly possible.

labmonkey 2 years, 3 months ago

As long as it hasn't gotten to my chest, a good run actually does wonders for me.

autie 2 years, 3 months ago

A couple of big belts of nyquil followed by a scotch chaser and a big glass of ice water....then go to bed for two days. Then seven up and chicken noodle soup as tolerated.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 3 months ago

If you are able to breath through your ears you will never succumb to a cold. Remember, prevention is the best remedy.

tange 2 years, 3 months ago

So, anyway, I hadn't burned a CD for, well, forever, so I picked up a hundred blanks, to reacquaint myself with my iTunes library. Running, to stay abreast of my day, I quickly opted for an old standard, swapping the opening track of High Violet with the so-called "Alternate Version." Lovely tune. At first, I had though it was about drug use… then about addiction, more broadly. Now, I think it a well-crafted piece addressing that condition in which so many of us find ourselves, walking as we must among self-/deceivers and other web weavers.

Not that I even know all the lyrics, or am likely to discover them anytime soon. I recall an early review of the album which attributed to another track the lyrics "With my shiny new Spanish tennis shoes on…." I'd thought the band was being ironic, until what must be the actual lyrics pushed through: "With my shiny new star-spangled tennis shoes on…." (Oh, the irony of the reviewer hearing the former in place of the latter.)

I've given up on Internet lyrics. Occasionally, I'll happen onto an official site which posts them. Wire, for instance, provides an exhaustive pop-up list of their titles, linking their entire catalog to lyrics. The Chameleons' website is great in this respect, even posting alternate versions of evolving lyrics. (Hey, I once submitted a query about a departure I'd come across, via my dotMac account, and Mark replied back via his; he even cleared up a relatively obscure reference in one of my favorites. So, I bought two copies of his book.)

I find myself listening to music differently over time. Most recently, I was struck by "Terrible Love"s trailing chorus, resounding like a siren calling the Eloi to the lair of the Morlocks. Brilliant, that; then, and now. When I first become enamored of a song, it's generally with little regard to lyrical detail, and I eventually find myself simply letting go of what I am unable to decipher. So, that's why I'm typing these lyrics. Now, if I could only remember the melody….

Loki 2 years, 3 months ago

I generally don't get colds because I lather myself in sanitizer after being anywhere those cootie ridden factories people call children have been.

Odeo 2 years, 3 months ago

“A good hot toddy helps. ”

Here it is my friend...