Previous   Next

What’s a good remedy for a cold?

Asked at Dillons, 1015 W. 23rd St. on January 20, 2012

Browse the archives

“Take NyQuil and sleep.”

“A good hot toddy helps. ”

“Lots of water and sleep.”

“Hot lemon water.”

Related story

Comments

Loki 2 years, 11 months ago

I generally don't get colds because I lather myself in sanitizer after being anywhere those cootie ridden factories people call children have been.

labmonkey 2 years, 11 months ago

As long as it hasn't gotten to my chest, a good run actually does wonders for me.

LadyJ 2 years, 11 months ago

I have actually done that, to both of my ears. Now whenever I have a cold and blow my nose a lot, it opens back up.

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

My ears whistle when I blow my nose. Even when I'm not wearing my hearing aids . . .

LadyJ 2 years, 11 months ago

Don't try to use one of those netti pots, the water will go into your ears.

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Diphenhydramine is tame. When I was a kid they used thalidomide for a sedative. My cousin was born with little flaps for arms and legs after his mom had it prescribed to her. No socks. No gloves. Just wrapped him up in a blanket and throwed him over our shoulder like a gunny sack. Didn't know no better I guess.

Purell 2 years, 11 months ago

The report from that "study" at Emory was shown to be deliberately misreported. Purell actually KILLED the virus at over 98%. It doesn't just wash it off. Remember, water and soap don't actually kill anything, they just let it wash into the water supply. Now the kill time is a real factor though. It may take 2-4 minutes for all of the viruses to be neutralized with the active ingredient in hand sanitizers.

beatrice 2 years, 11 months ago

Microwave ovens are evil. Anything that can make that much heat without fire is obviously from the Devil. -- Ellen Degeneres (paraphrased)

nut_case 2 years, 11 months ago

“Take NyQuil and sleep.”

— Kellie Osburn, stay-at-home mom, Lawrence

Ahh, if only it were that easy. Thanks to all the tweakers out there, it's more like:

Garb your photo ID, major credit card and note from your mother - get a friend to grab their paperwork too. Road trip to the local Wallgreens/CVS, etc. Present all your paperwork, sign a couple sheets of paper and plonk down your hard earned money to buy one single bottle of 'real' NyQuil - don't even attempt to buy two, lest you instantly raise eyebrows and draw ire of the staff - because you might me running a lab. Have your friend also purchase one single cold medicine - you hate to waste the whole trip for nothing.

So now you have two precious packages of cold medicine - you dang well hope your cold is cured and you don't have to buy another package for at least a few months...because you might be running a lab. You also hope you haven't bought any other 'watched' items such as a bottle of alcohol, a pack of batteries, or various other every day items...otherwise you might be running a lab!

rockchalker52 2 years, 11 months ago

LJWorld has Vicky in the ad rotation. It sez she wants to talk to me on FB. Vicky looks like she could clear your sinuses just fine. We're talkin' really old-fashioned remedies.