Previous   Next

What makes a good teacher?

Asked at Walmart, 550 Congressional Dr. on January 19, 2012

Browse the archives

“Intelligence, caring and flexibility.”

“A personal relationship with their students.”

“Patience is the ultimate. And an open mind. ”

“Patience.”

Related story

Comments

labmonkey 2 years, 11 months ago

Someone who isn't afraid to wield the paddle.

Loki 2 years, 11 months ago

My favorites recognized that I only disrupted the class and caused trouble because I was highly intelligent and bored. They knew if they didn't do something I would hold the Earth randsom for 1 miiiiillion dollars. Now, back to my manifesto.... (pets kitty)

deec 2 years, 11 months ago

Adequate compensation, a reasonable number of students, a well-equipped classroom with enough books and supplies that the teacher doesn't have to buy from his/her own pocket, rational parents, supportive administrators, decent pensions, no unfunded mandates, and children with a modicum of sense.After all, "You get what you pay for," so if you want good teachers and good schools, you should be willing to pay for them.

deec 2 years, 11 months ago

Except, some on this forum argue, if it is an executive or CEO. Then money equals quality.

dlkrm 2 years, 11 months ago

More money to teachers who suck won't improve things. More money to recruit new better teachers could help.

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Mrs Roe. Best. Second. Grade. Teacher . . . Evah !

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Glad to see you back autie!

If I'm ever gone more than a couple of days I'm probably in the hospital.

More than a week, check the obits . . .

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Many of Mrs Roe's first students are now in their late 40's. Always funny to have some gray haired, balding dude walk up and ask "Do you remember me?" She will reply with something like "Sure 'Johnny', you were in my class in '77. Do you still have your Hot Wheels collection?"

Bill Lee 2 years, 11 months ago

Never losing sight of the task at hand. Don't worry about self-esteem as much as teaching the basic skills the students will need in life. The most important of those skills is the ability to read. Students who can read can learn almost everything else. Doing it with a smile helps.

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Many times students who told Mrs Roe she was mean (strict) told her years later she was their very most favorite teacher.

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

LadyJ 2 years, 11 months ago

Teachers with an open mind to new ideas and don't think they know everything.

Kookamooka 2 years, 11 months ago

A teacher who knows why they are there. A focus on the students 100% of the time. It isn't about the teachers, it's about the kids. Teachers who use positive behavior supports are doing it right. Teachers who love learning, themselves, and pass that excitement on to their students. Teachers who can always find the silver lining and make the day brighter. Teachers whose classroom culture is so inviting that even parents feel comfortable. Caring. Those are the best teachers.

labmonkey 2 years, 11 months ago

Holy bejeezus... Roe my hit is 10000th comment this week. Any plans for a celebration? Grey Goose and aviator sunglasses?

rockchalker52 2 years, 11 months ago

To paraphrase Justice Potter Stewart who was speaking about another matter entirely:

I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of people I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description; and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know one when I see one. (or at least when I see one in action).

beatrice 2 years, 11 months ago

I will toast RoeD's 10,000th post with some salmon vodka, fruitcake and a Klondike bar -- while sitting on a roundabout.

Jean Robart 2 years, 11 months ago

oh, there might be teaching going on, but not much learning

1029 2 years, 11 months ago

beatrice 2 years, 11 months ago

I sure hope you weren't home schooled.

KSWingman 2 years, 11 months ago

"I had a teacher that would give us the option of staying late if we wanted to learn about adult stuff. Some kids got trauma, but I thought some of the things she showed us were pretty cool."

That's what Newt said...

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

""The deer are getting cocky again." - T_O_B

Hmmm . . . wouldn't that be the antlered deer?

rockchalker52 2 years, 11 months ago

The ability to relate makes a good teech. For instance, rara,outside of squashing any damn bug that needs it, that whole killing thing does seem a bit tawdry. That's why I only aid & abet for my cheeseburgers & the like. There's fish in the pond if you know of anyone that wants to fry them for me.

LadyJ 2 years, 11 months ago

When a tiny, tiny sperm cell fertilizes an itsy bitsy egg and it "evolves into a baby" isn't that evolution. Don't tell me you think God puts that baby in there fully formed, do you? It's ok to believe in evolution as long as you believe God put the first organisms on earth and they evolved. Seems like the same thing to me.

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

And here ya go Rara . . .

It's called the "Super Shorty"

nuff said . . .

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

I must admit I'm better at baiting trolls than fish . . .

beatrice 2 years, 11 months ago

A salary large enough to cover her bar tab.

No, wait, that is what makes a good journalist.

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Browny called. Said he heard I was having tranny trouble. I didn't bother to explain . . .

rockchalker52 2 years, 11 months ago

My friend, Gus, before they kicked him out, had a smallish bowtie wearing teacher who always ate lunch in the classroom from a limited edition Wally Cox lunchbox. Towards the end of the month, after he’d already robbed most everybody’s lunch money, Gus would stay behind to eat teach’s lunch, but he did respect the box pretty well & was careful not to dent it.
That gave Bowtie an extra half-hour to his day which he devoted to reading aloud interesting facts from various almanacs. Usually, the only thing Gus ever passed in school was gas, but he did learn while eating Bowtie’s chili, that on any given day, at least one million people are having a birthday & that you can draw a line thirty-five miles long with the average lead pencil.
Bowtie told Gus, if he could figure out how many more miles a million people could draw with that same pencil, he’d give him the chocolate cake for desert. Gus told me he knew it was a trick question because you couldn’t possibly do that in only one random birthday, so he went ahead & ate the cake.

labmonkey 2 years, 11 months ago

RI- Are you an overseer? Your comment is the only one that did not get TOSed on the Style Scout.

Jean Robart 2 years, 11 months ago

It might be a good idea if a teacher likes kids. I've had teachers who didn't