Previous   Next

If you could sample any drink in a liquor store, what would it be?

Asked at On The Rocks Liquor, 1818 Mass. on January 16, 2012

Browse the archives

“A really fantastic wine.”

“A top-shelf whiskey or tequila. Like more top-shelf than Patron.”

“A top-shelf whiskey. I’m a whiskey guy.”

“Probably a vodka or wine.”

Comments

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 3 months ago

Some friends of mine took me on a driving tour along a really beautiful rocky creek, and showed me the Jack Daniels distillery in Kentucky. Or at least, I'm pretty sure it was the Jack Daniels distillery.

There are many whiskey distilleries there, and there had been even more in the past.

I wasn't really all that impressed with the Jack Daniels distillery, all it appeared to be was a few big buildings with a lot of semi trucks coming and going. But there were two things that really did impress me.

One of them was an old abandoned distillery that looked like an old fashioned stone castle. And sure enough, in great big letters at the entrance, it read "Stone Castle". I was sure I remembered an old whiskey called Stone Castle that you could buy years ago!

And the other thing that really impressed me was the shells of really big burned out buildings. There were a few of them, and all that was left was the outer brick walls.

To age the whiskey, it is stored in large wooden casks in really big warehouses. And sometimes there are warehouse fires at the distilleries.

I was told that the fire department there has a standing policy: Let the whiskey warehouse fires just burn themselves out, don't even try to extinguish them.

I suppose that's why all of the warehouses were spaced so far apart.

booyalab 2 years, 3 months ago

scotch or a unique wine I just had a thought.... a store could really sell decanters (and wine) by offering samples of decanted cab sav. I suspect that is an untapped market in Lawrence where most wine drinkers are relatively new to the intricacies of wine.

Also, I think it would be a good idea for the liquor store to ask for 25 cents for samples. That should be enough to dissuade the ones who would take advantage of it. I'd pay a quarter for a sample, why not?

Newell_Post 2 years, 3 months ago

For the scotch drinkers, you need to try 18-year Highland Park. It was voted the best scotch and the best distilled spirit in the world three years in a row. It's about $100 a bottle, so it's not cheap. But $100 is not really very expensive at all considering what they get for some wines.

LadyJ 2 years, 3 months ago

Well, I don't drink, but if I did, I wouldn't waste my time with the stuff on the top shelf. I would want to sample the special stuff they keep in the back room. Now I do know how to make a recipe for a drink that was handed down in the family that involves grain alcohol. That drink will knock your socks (and underwear) off.

bad_dog 2 years, 3 months ago

A liquor store has got to love a customer named "Bender". Talk about potential...

CreatureComforts 2 years, 3 months ago

Only a student would think Patron is truly top-shelf. It's only "top-shelf" because they spend more on advertising than on making a quality product

Rara_Avis 2 years, 3 months ago

Who cares? I'm really into classic stoner music today. Crosby was fried. He'd probably just broken another crack pipe. Strictly a studio band. Nash honestly can't carry a tune in a bucket live. I saw them a couple of times. I was really wasted but it still hurt my ears. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQAWqT...

profound 2 years, 3 months ago

Looks like some ganja tasting going on behind door #1.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 3 months ago

I think Haiti has something to do with "Tales of Brave Ulysses". At least, when I'm stoned that's what I think. And the colors of the sea blind your eyes with trembling mermaids, And you touch the distant beaches with tales of brave Ulysses: How his naked ears were tortured by the sirens sweetly singing, For the sparkling waves are calling you to kiss their white laced lips.

Alceste 2 years, 3 months ago

Sterno: Good for what ails ya....a bit pricey, granted.....buy the best and weep once.....

g_rock 2 years, 3 months ago

Don't they already have free Jake sampling down by the river?

beatrice 2 years, 3 months ago

Life is too short to drink cheap alcohol. I'd love to have a go at a 1868 Chateau Lafite-Rothschild.

"Like more top-shelf than Patron."

Oh, good god. Why do I think he spelled it "then" in his head?

CWGOKU 2 years, 3 months ago

One of each. Well, except no wine, thank you. Not a wine drinker.

Blessed4x 2 years, 3 months ago

Ouzo. Ever since my wife forced me to go see "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" I've wanted to try it. The movie was good, now for the alcohol.

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 3 months ago

"Haiti swore a pact to the devil to get free from the French and ever since, they have been cursed." RI

Well, they had to do what they had to do to get rid of the disgusting, stinking, and evil French. However, had they known that Sean Penn was in their future they may have thought about making the deal a little long. They'd of course still made the deal with the devil, because we are talking about the French, but they may have thought twice about it.

Andini 2 years, 3 months ago

Either Boones Farm or Mad Dog 20/20...flip a coin.

Agnostick 2 years, 3 months ago

One of these might be interesting... assuming there's a bartender around.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 3 months ago

JayCat_67 2 years, 3 months ago

If I knew what I wanted, I wouldn't need samples now, would I? But since they're handing them out... :-P

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 3 months ago

" And BoB, in case you haven't heard, it's now Sean Penn: Ambassador at Large to Haiti."

I saw that. Haiti must have done something really bad in a prior life, because it gets repeatedly shat on in this life.

rockchalker52 2 years, 3 months ago

Anyone that ever got drunk on Boone's Farm deserved the fate that befell them, like the scar on the bridge of my nose. Don't pass out on a bunk bed & then get up to go pee in the middle of the night. Note to self: you're on the TOP bunk, you idiot.

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

methinks the wine had already been poured . . .

autie 2 years, 3 months ago

todays poll: which OTS respondent do you think looks the most lit up?

any answer may be a violation so leave it rhetorical.

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

Do they still make Bali-Hai?

That cr@p packed a Hawaiin punch . . .

Rara_Avis 2 years, 3 months ago

" I do not want to buy a fifth (which is kind of a two year commitment) before I try it."-lab

A fifth is a 2 hour commitment for me. In 2 years I could go through 8 or 9 liquor stores and a full warehouse and 3 loaded semi containers. I used to buy Boone's Strawberry for my best friend's little brother. He's dead now, but not because of the ripple. Well, sort of......

Rara_Avis 2 years, 3 months ago

Autie, don't mention the damn game. A dear friend of mine had an extra ticket and invited me to go. Can you believe that? But I had to go to some damn dinner party and act all proper and stuff. And here I haven't been to a men's game since I was in school in the late 80's. Actually I was a Senior in 87'-88'. I had to sell half of my all-sports ticket so I could move away. So guess what I missed? It must be my station life......

labmonkey 2 years, 3 months ago

Right now, I would like to try some Kracken. I do not want to buy a fifth (which is kind of a two year commitment) before I try it.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 3 months ago

I'll go with BoB. And throw in some Little Kings. Do they still make that swill? It used to be sold in 8 packs of 8 oz. bottles and it could hit a 16 year old hard. I still remember getting 8 8packs with some friends and heading to the lake. I almost drowned and then I threw up all over myself. And BoB, in case you haven't heard, it's now Sean Penn: Ambassador at Large to Haiti. Great. Really great. I didn't know there was an Ambassador at Large title. Martha Washington Hillary probably made it up so Sean would stop being pissed off. It won't work.

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

OTS question for tomorrow . . .

"How does Wikipedia being shut down for 24 hours affect you?"

Ron and I will be at a loss for words . . .

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

Monday Night Raw pre-empted by B-ball again . . Next time she gets to record the game

Wooo

prospector 2 years, 3 months ago

I don't need no stinkin' liquor store. I been sampling a Free State for years.

The Wine Cellar at 25th and Iowa has a monster selection of wine. They know there stuff.

rockchalker52 2 years, 3 months ago

Wavin' the Wheat State, baby!

Bock, Schnapp Way to cop Free Booze.....Woo!

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

Whoever got layed off that was responsible for the online picture posting, bring 'em back. The double pics of Tyshawn is giving me a migraine. or it's the margaritis . . .

autie 2 years, 3 months ago

And we "wooo'ed" last night in my living room. When they started the rock chalk chant with two minutes plus still left on the clock....oh yeah...we were woooing. Momma had to yell downstairs to tell the children to shut up.

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

i gots th besht margrit reshippee but 7 aM ish to dam erly forit

autie 2 years, 3 months ago

TOB, I would have figured you for an Annie Green Springs type. Or maybe a nice Strawberry Hill.

I would like to try some of that Johnny Walker (blue?) whatever color cost waaaay toooo much than any scotch ought to. Just to see what the fuss is all about. How can you get excited about a blended whiskey?

BABBOY 2 years, 3 months ago

I just drink domestic beer so this probably does not apply to me. I guess I could go to store to store for a free high on Bud Light.,.....

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 3 months ago

Churpi. It is the cheese that lasts.

jimjones 2 years, 3 months ago

Absinthe. Doesn't seem to be something I'd purchase, but I'd try a free sample.

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

Them ALL !!!

oh . . . wait . .

riverdrifter 2 years, 3 months ago

The Balvenie 30 single year is superior to the Macallan 30 in every way, laddie. "The coopers were better to keep clear of the drams because they disnae last any time. The manager, the first thing he asked me was if I was teetotal. Like I say, as far as whisky's concerned, it disnae worry me - I take it if I need it." -Davey, a Bowmore cooperer

Roland Gunslinger 2 years, 3 months ago

Macallan 30 year single malt scotch

Rara_Avis 2 years, 3 months ago

Asked at Land of the Giants. I would like to sample a quart of McCormick one hundred proof vodka, as long as it's free.