Previous   Next

What does community service mean at your school?

Asked at Free State High School, 4700 Overland Dr. on January 12, 2012

Browse the archives

“Helping communities around the world.”

“Helping others and not thinking of yourself as much.”

“Helping others who are less fortunate than you and contributing to your community.”

“It means a lot — it helps the community.”

Related story

Comments

rockchalker52 2 years, 3 months ago

This week my life really doesn't start until tomorrow night, soooo...

jj question #9 - What is the unhealthiest food that you enjoy? Oh, man, where to start? I might have said baby back ribs but a few years back I did the Adkins thing & actually lost about 25 lbs eating ribs & other proteins, but mainly ribs, so that cain't be it. It's prolly fries. Never had a bad batch of fries. Even the suckiest ones are good. My current favs are the ones at Biemer's BBQ although anything close to that makes me as happy as a pig in...well, they make me happy. Other challenges to longevity include fettucine alfredo, lo mein, death by chocolate & BACON!

jj question #10 - Have you broken your New Years resolutions yet? Hmmm, not really sure. I resoluteded to act with civility online & respect the opinions of others, so who am I to say? Jury's still out, I guess. Am I still ok if I can recruit babboy to beat the livin' crap outa those that are pissin' me off? I would think that'd be alright with his law background & all. I'm the judge, screw the jury & he can be the executioner.

blue73harley 2 years, 3 months ago

"Wonder whatever happened to the posters that have mostly disappeared..."

I'm still around but trapped in a cubicle working 2nd shift. All of the OTS fun is about over by the time I check in.

But I am still keeping tabs on you guys. Lately I have seen some inmate comments. Glad to see he/she is still around.

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

Sorry you gots the appazoodiak there cuz. A little scotch in the NyQuil (or vice versa) should take the edge off.

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

I would reply autie but my new years revolution was to do less posting and get the nicotine coated walls painted.

autie 2 years, 3 months ago

Roe, do you ever feel like some people just don't get it? I don't know what they are talking about half the time. But today I think it is just the NyQuil. A couple them boys should just go suck it.

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

I was in Lawrence to buy some Kilz this afternoon. I put everything I had into harassing the street but it failed to respond in any fashion. Missouri streets would be much the same I guess.

Hey, you know, they make Kilz in off white now so the water spots can be covered on the ceiling without being significantly whiter than the nicotine stain on the rest of it.

That there Home Depot gots everything a cuzin could dream of almost.

rockchalker52 2 years, 3 months ago

jj question #7 - Do you believe in a higher power? Well, yah. It used to be Whitney, then JK. Now it's Alex.

jj question #8 - Do you believe in other dimensions? Oh, most certainly. Why, just today I logged onto the friendly & clever OTS only to find myself magically transported to the land of bitter & humorless souls. The only way back was an uphill climb over Holy (er than thou) Mountain.

Uphill climb is redundant, isn't it? Sorry.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 3 months ago

RoeD, I have a spare tranny. It's in the glove box. Just let me unhook the catalytic converter and it's all yours.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 3 months ago

Because you can't starve us out and you can't make us run Cause we'se them ole boys raised on shotguns We say grace and we say ma'am if you ain't in to that we don't give a damn

dickmerkin 2 years, 3 months ago

It does seem the general IQ & mentality of the OTS has dropped considerably. Someone get the lights on the way out please.

goodcountrypeople 2 years, 3 months ago

"Community Service" and "helping" sure the frick shouldn't equate street harassment. KS and MO can do better. Parents as a safety issue need to stop training up their kids to approach strangers. Of course anyone who has judgment bad enough to do this is the scary, threatening one, not the oppressed persons they victimize.It's wrong to single out strangers to be harassed for discriminatory reasons , and when this happens in bigoted places like KS and MO it leads to certain people(women, the elderly, anyone with a bum knee or other physical limitations) being mobbed on the streets. It ruins quality of life. Some of these clueless country bumpkins really need to get in step with the times.

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

Funny thing 'bout that. If (when) the fit hits the shan the rednecks/cuzins/good old boys will still be eatin' pork ribs of wild boar, venison backstrap, Canadian goose, crappie. Very little change. Everyone else will be eating . . .

their shoe.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 3 months ago

"What is wrong with rednecks?!"- CW

Evidently they threaten Babboy's manhood.

CWGOKU 2 years, 3 months ago

What is wrong with rednecks?!

rockchalker52 2 years, 3 months ago

Looks like I'll have some time coming up in the spring to start doing a bit of volunteer work. Some of the regular posters (pace, for example) have inspired me to do so. In the meantime, I'll keep on, keepin' on, which includes multiple posts on this here award winning site (love that phrase, thanx, snap)

If it was possible to disagree more with Antonym, I would do it. Clever ( in the eye of the beholder, I know ) banter & sarcasm is one thing & mean-spirited trolling is quite another. Since he/she/it offered some conjecture, let me do so as well. I always envision the positions of posters like Antonym to stem from jealousy. I, too, wish I could have as razor sharp of a wit as a lot of folks on this thread.

The most prolific posters on OTS don't bully, they don't belittle & they have no problem with others posting as often as they like. T_O_B is correct that the moderators are really thinned-skinned, but the trolls have more of a negative impact than they do.

Well, gee, that was pleasant, exactly the sort of thing I log on to OTS to post - NOT!

'course maybe he/she/it means exactly the opposite. The screen-name, after all, is...Antonym.

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

I envision the haters sitting in Starbucks, sipping their Caffe Latte, laptop connected to the free wifi saying to no one in particular, "I certainly got those rednecks straightened out with THAT post!"

. . . But that's just me. What would I know?

Now where did I put that paint brush . . . ?

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

Oh, shoot!! Just remembered, my tranny is out. No transportation.

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

Damn! I'm inspired! Think I'll paint some Kilz over all this nicotine, replace all the burnt out light bulbs and go visit my kids! Hell, you never know, I might even change my underwear.

Life is good again . . .

ohjayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm still around. I do more reading than posting anymore, as well. It's still an interesting read, most days. lol

Mary Darst 2 years, 3 months ago

I remember TOB. That was when I first started...Seems like most of the OTS questions are a little lame and there are a couple of posters that are a little to much blahblahblah. I may not post much, but I do read everyday. Maybe so much disapeareded going on. Let free speech rock on.

Antonym 2 years, 3 months ago

Diversity on these boards is rewarded with ridicule from the old bullies who can't deal with anything they don't agree with. I always envision them as sorry, lonely old souls sitting in a dark room all yellowed from chain smoking and only posting about the things they dreamed of doing but never did. Happy Friday the 13th.

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 3 months ago

"Wonder whatever happened to the posters that have mostly disappeared Ceallach. Sunflower_Sue, Pywacket, Jonas, sgtwolverine, acg, Gootsie, ohjayhawk ms_canada. blue73harley, trinity, azure, RonBurgandy, Classclown, Bone777 Valkarie_of_Reason, consumer1, sublime, Agnostick, canyon_wren and a few others. I miss the diversity of input."

Remember when the OTS would have 150 - 200 responses a day? Well, the LJW made sure fun was not to be allowed here and people left.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 3 months ago

I swear, they must have had to hook jumper cables up to his jewels to get him to do that. He looks like an old lady now.

CWGOKU 2 years, 3 months ago

Is Friday the 13th a bad thing?

Rara_Avis 2 years, 3 months ago

As much as I loathe Aerosmith, I've got that damn Steven Tyler wail from "What It Takes" stuck in my head. Catch it at 4:50. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TouBJ2...

Rara_Avis 2 years, 3 months ago

I pretty much scared azure away. She owes me money. Good riddance.

OTSSweeper 2 years, 3 months ago

Rara_Avis 2 years, 3 months ago

Around here, community service only credits you $7/hr. That's almost as bad as volunteer work. Oh, I feel so used. And dirty. And cheap.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 3 months ago

"Community service: 200 hours of community service and time served. "Don't let me see you back in here, again."- DIST

Actually, I'll be doing 220. And unfortunatley, Judge Miller will be seeing me again sometime in April. I'll probably get another serving of time. But I always dress nice when I go to court. Sometimes people think I'm a lawyer. BoB likes lawyers.

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

Ten years ago today U.S. President George W. Bush fainted after choking on a pretzel.

autie 2 years, 3 months ago

Just remember. This is not North Korea. And when everybody has their on fruit pie there will be more time for volunteerism.

g_rock 2 years, 3 months ago

Like Sweet Charity, the musical? They did that one a couple years before got to high school.

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

Back in '65 Virgil Faust pulled me over for littering. Nicest LE officer I ever knew. He walked me back the two blocks to where he saw me throw out a cigarette butt and made me pick up every cigarette butt between there and my car. Following behind me, every few feet he would call out "missed one!". The 800 and 900 block of New York Street were never cleaner. I've never littered since.

pace 2 years, 3 months ago

My family, my church, my schools all encouraged and supported community service. First job was helping with baskets for holiday meals. My dad said, smile and smile again, most of the people were lonely. Made sandwiches for the SA canteen, and cleaned bricks for school trips. That was in elementary school. Tutored little kids in Jr. High, High-school offered less, just some food drives. Family kept me busy with helping old people and natural disasters, a lot of site clean up. I got some unusual training. I wish I could go back and thank all the older more experienced volunteers that guided me. I learned so much. I learned as a volunteer to do my job. It was a revelation to find out when someone suggested I should be doing something else, to answer, that sounds like a good idea, YOU should do that. I learned to finish the job I volunteered for. I

Odeo 2 years, 3 months ago

BTW. Yes, I have heard of this "Community Service" for kids in High School and younger. Has always sounded like a retarded way to teach a kid to do something for "Free" but then get some kind of "Brownie Points" from the school district, local, state, and then Federal Gvmt. Sounds like Europe to me. O'Bummer....- Odeo

Sometimes change is good. I accept that. But not a change for the worse. - Odeo

Odeo 2 years, 3 months ago

Never did it when I was in school. But, I guess I made up for it later. Community service is basically throwing one into City/County slavery except you do get $$ awarded for the time you do. I know, an oxymoron..ergo "slavery and $$ awarded."

Once, I had to pick up used "Condoms" out at Wells Overlook. Pretty sick. But, the County was good enough to provide sterile gloves and "long tongs." Humbling... - Odeo

Loki 2 years, 3 months ago

Why weren't the children out doing community service instead of hanging out at the high school? That might explain what it means at their schools...

Benjamin Roberts 2 years, 3 months ago

Community service: Volunteering to help others.
or Community service: 200 hours of community service and time served. "Don't let me see you back in here, again."

profound 2 years, 3 months ago

Fourth grade was too long ago to remember.