Previous   Next

What does community service mean at your school?

Asked at Free State High School, 4700 Overland Dr. on January 12, 2012

Browse the archives

“Helping communities around the world.”

“Helping others and not thinking of yourself as much.”

“Helping others who are less fortunate than you and contributing to your community.”

“It means a lot — it helps the community.”

Related story

Comments

Loki 2 years, 11 months ago

Why weren't the children out doing community service instead of hanging out at the high school? That might explain what it means at their schools...

pace 2 years, 11 months ago

My family, my church, my schools all encouraged and supported community service. First job was helping with baskets for holiday meals. My dad said, smile and smile again, most of the people were lonely. Made sandwiches for the SA canteen, and cleaned bricks for school trips. That was in elementary school. Tutored little kids in Jr. High, High-school offered less, just some food drives. Family kept me busy with helping old people and natural disasters, a lot of site clean up. I got some unusual training. I wish I could go back and thank all the older more experienced volunteers that guided me. I learned so much. I learned as a volunteer to do my job. It was a revelation to find out when someone suggested I should be doing something else, to answer, that sounds like a good idea, YOU should do that. I learned to finish the job I volunteered for. I

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Back in '65 Virgil Faust pulled me over for littering. Nicest LE officer I ever knew. He walked me back the two blocks to where he saw me throw out a cigarette butt and made me pick up every cigarette butt between there and my car. Following behind me, every few feet he would call out "missed one!". The 800 and 900 block of New York Street were never cleaner. I've never littered since.

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Ten years ago today U.S. President George W. Bush fainted after choking on a pretzel.

Mary Darst 2 years, 11 months ago

I remember TOB. That was when I first started...Seems like most of the OTS questions are a little lame and there are a couple of posters that are a little to much blahblahblah. I may not post much, but I do read everyday. Maybe so much disapeareded going on. Let free speech rock on.

ohjayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

I'm still around. I do more reading than posting anymore, as well. It's still an interesting read, most days. lol

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Damn! I'm inspired! Think I'll paint some Kilz over all this nicotine, replace all the burnt out light bulbs and go visit my kids! Hell, you never know, I might even change my underwear.

Life is good again . . .

LadyJ 2 years, 11 months ago

Went to buy a spray can of Kilz the other day and had to show my ID.

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Oh, shoot!! Just remembered, my tranny is out. No transportation.

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

I envision the haters sitting in Starbucks, sipping their Caffe Latte, laptop connected to the free wifi saying to no one in particular, "I certainly got those rednecks straightened out with THAT post!"

. . . But that's just me. What would I know?

Now where did I put that paint brush . . . ?

rockchalker52 2 years, 11 months ago

Looks like I'll have some time coming up in the spring to start doing a bit of volunteer work. Some of the regular posters (pace, for example) have inspired me to do so. In the meantime, I'll keep on, keepin' on, which includes multiple posts on this here award winning site (love that phrase, thanx, snap)

If it was possible to disagree more with Antonym, I would do it. Clever ( in the eye of the beholder, I know ) banter & sarcasm is one thing & mean-spirited trolling is quite another. Since he/she/it offered some conjecture, let me do so as well. I always envision the positions of posters like Antonym to stem from jealousy. I, too, wish I could have as razor sharp of a wit as a lot of folks on this thread.

The most prolific posters on OTS don't bully, they don't belittle & they have no problem with others posting as often as they like. T_O_B is correct that the moderators are really thinned-skinned, but the trolls have more of a negative impact than they do.

Well, gee, that was pleasant, exactly the sort of thing I log on to OTS to post - NOT!

'course maybe he/she/it means exactly the opposite. The screen-name, after all, is...Antonym.

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Funny thing 'bout that. If (when) the fit hits the shan the rednecks/cuzins/good old boys will still be eatin' pork ribs of wild boar, venison backstrap, Canadian goose, crappie. Very little change. Everyone else will be eating . . .

their shoe.

goodcountrypeople 2 years, 11 months ago

"Community Service" and "helping" sure the frick shouldn't equate street harassment. KS and MO can do better. Parents as a safety issue need to stop training up their kids to approach strangers. Of course anyone who has judgment bad enough to do this is the scary, threatening one, not the oppressed persons they victimize.It's wrong to single out strangers to be harassed for discriminatory reasons , and when this happens in bigoted places like KS and MO it leads to certain people(women, the elderly, anyone with a bum knee or other physical limitations) being mobbed on the streets. It ruins quality of life. Some of these clueless country bumpkins really need to get in step with the times.

dickmerkin 2 years, 11 months ago

It does seem the general IQ & mentality of the OTS has dropped considerably. Someone get the lights on the way out please.

rockchalker52 2 years, 11 months ago

jj question #7 - Do you believe in a higher power? Well, yah. It used to be Whitney, then JK. Now it's Alex.

jj question #8 - Do you believe in other dimensions? Oh, most certainly. Why, just today I logged onto the friendly & clever OTS only to find myself magically transported to the land of bitter & humorless souls. The only way back was an uphill climb over Holy (er than thou) Mountain.

Uphill climb is redundant, isn't it? Sorry.

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

I was in Lawrence to buy some Kilz this afternoon. I put everything I had into harassing the street but it failed to respond in any fashion. Missouri streets would be much the same I guess.

Hey, you know, they make Kilz in off white now so the water spots can be covered on the ceiling without being significantly whiter than the nicotine stain on the rest of it.

That there Home Depot gots everything a cuzin could dream of almost.

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

I would reply autie but my new years revolution was to do less posting and get the nicotine coated walls painted.

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Sorry you gots the appazoodiak there cuz. A little scotch in the NyQuil (or vice versa) should take the edge off.

rockchalker52 2 years, 11 months ago

This week my life really doesn't start until tomorrow night, soooo...

jj question #9 - What is the unhealthiest food that you enjoy? Oh, man, where to start? I might have said baby back ribs but a few years back I did the Adkins thing & actually lost about 25 lbs eating ribs & other proteins, but mainly ribs, so that cain't be it. It's prolly fries. Never had a bad batch of fries. Even the suckiest ones are good. My current favs are the ones at Biemer's BBQ although anything close to that makes me as happy as a pig in...well, they make me happy. Other challenges to longevity include fettucine alfredo, lo mein, death by chocolate & BACON!

jj question #10 - Have you broken your New Years resolutions yet? Hmmm, not really sure. I resoluteded to act with civility online & respect the opinions of others, so who am I to say? Jury's still out, I guess. Am I still ok if I can recruit babboy to beat the livin' crap outa those that are pissin' me off? I would think that'd be alright with his law background & all. I'm the judge, screw the jury & he can be the executioner.