Previous   Next

What is your favorite book?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 29, 2012

Browse the archives

“‘Their Eyes Were Watching God.’ It’s just really interesting.”

“‘They Cage Animals at Night.’ It’s a really sad book.”

“‘The Rum Diary,’ by Hunter S. Thompson. I must have read that book five times.”

“‘Ender’s Game’ and ‘Ender’s Shadow.’ I really like science fiction.”

Comments

Gart 2 years, 3 months ago

LJW. You take this public link down this will not be good. And, it will be on other posts. Just try, Alex. Giving you some time - enough rope....

classclown 2 years, 3 months ago

i had quite a few actually. They were all glossy and stapled together in the middle with a fold out section. But then the internet came along so now I do most of my 'reading' on the internet.

rockchalker52 2 years, 3 months ago

A favorite book? Choose just one? C'mon now, how can a person choose just one? There is such diversity with the written word that to pick a fav is to fall into the trap of apples & oranges comparisons.

Currently leading my power rankings of exceptional authors is James Lee Burke, so, for now, I'll go with his latest, "Creole Belle," a Dave Robicheaux novel. If I could write as well as Burke, I would weep with the joy of accomplished satisfaction.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 3 months ago

Thank you for mentioning this book as I forgot it just came out. They have four copies in the library and there are holds on all of them. I just put my name on the list. I love all of the Odd Thomas books.

Topple 2 years, 3 months ago

I was thinking he worked for Koch Industries, but I guess that'd be Wichita.

Ceallach 2 years, 3 months ago

"I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist," by Norman Geisler and Frank Turek.

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

"How To Make Threats On The Internet And Get Outed In Three Days"

I forget the author.(NOT) But still have a list of his aliases.

Ceallach 2 years, 3 months ago

An oldie but goodie. I wonder how she is doing? So brave, she was cheerful on the job!

rockchalker52 2 years, 3 months ago

My favorite book shut its pages permanently a few years ago when the 'author' couldn't lay off enough of his Super Bowl action.

LadyJ 2 years, 3 months ago

You must be younger than some of the rest of us. Doesn't take long for me to forget what it said so it's the same as reading a new book. Save a lot of money on books that way, movies too. Hell, by the time I got through some of the Harry Potter books, I could start them right over.

Ceallach 2 years, 3 months ago

What about movies? Ever watch a movie you've seen before?

Kate Rogge 2 years, 3 months ago

Picnic (1955), shot in Nickerson and Hutchinson, is a favorite.

LadyJ 2 years, 3 months ago

Ickle Bickle Robin, parenting at it's best. You can get it on Amazon for $75 to $125, not bad for a kids book with only a few pages.

LadyJ 2 years, 3 months ago

Since Gandalf doesn't seem to be posting lately, I'll answer for him. The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings.

bevy 2 years, 3 months ago

Mine too! I wonder how interesting this list would get if the regular posters would quit being "smart ankles" (as Grandma used to say) and actually give a straight answer.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 3 months ago

Their Eyes Were Watching God., and all the other books by Zora Neale Hurston

Zora Neale Hurston

Zora Neale Hurston by Frankie8

Rex Hargis 2 years, 3 months ago

"The Complete Works of Edgar Allen Poe" "The Complete Sherlock Holmes" (although some of Conan Doyle's other stuff is good) "The Complete Works of William Shakespeare" (if he did indeed write them all)

Thank you Kindle for allowing me to carry a very full library around in an item the same size and weight as a thin paperback.

Pastor_Bedtime 2 years, 3 months ago

Since not one single person has mentioned the Bible, 40 lashes to you all! Heathens. Best read up on the new laws of the land. (Be sure to omit the testaments we don't agree with though)

aweshootpearl 2 years, 3 months ago

I'll Scream Later - Marlee Matlin...and let's not forget Harry Potter and the gang.

LadyJ 2 years, 3 months ago

Old Home Town of course by Sarah St. John.

riverdrifter 2 years, 3 months ago

Dust Bowl Days and the Dearth of Decent Dove Ponds by Larry Dickman.

rockchalker52 2 years, 3 months ago

Overcoming Technology & the Stagnancy of the Human Spirit

(how I learned to love my mother's basement)

Kate Rogge 2 years, 3 months ago

"South of the Big Four" by Don Kurtz, and "Bad Jews" by Gerald Shapiro. "Gilead" by Marilynne Robinson. "Arundel" and "Rabble in Arms" by Kenneth Roberts from childhood.

riverdrifter 2 years, 3 months ago

Blue73harley, I am shocked. Shocked, I tell you.

Rex Hargis 2 years, 3 months ago

BABBOY "Killer Angels" is a good read. It is on the reading list for attendees at the Infantry Officer Basic Course at Benning (or at least it was in the old days), and is a 'killer' read on its own.