Previous   Next

Has anyone ever tried to scam you?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 14, 2011

Browse the archives

“No, but I got an email from a friend that didn’t seem to be from her, so I emailed her back and it still seemed off, so I messaged for her to call me and it was from her but it just shows how suspicious we all are.”

“Scam emails, for sure. Just delete it.”

“Phishing emails but nothing that’s not been obvious. Somebody sends you a link, ‘oh is this you?’ and you know, ‘well, I haven’t spoken to you for years, I don’t think you’d be intentionally sending me a link.’”

“General scam emails — you can always tell. I delete and go on. ”

Comments

bevy 2 years, 5 months ago

A few times - but my favorite was the woman who called and told us (years ago) that my hubby had made a call to the Jessica Hahn Adult Fantasy LIne, but didn't enter our Credit Card correctly. We didn't have a credit card, but boy was she persistent! I finally got her off the phone.

1029 2 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, so I pretended that I was going to the bathroom and then took off without paying the check.

Shane Garrett 2 years, 5 months ago

From every woman, except for one, that ever said "I'll pay you back."

beatrice 2 years, 5 months ago

Damn Bob.

He dumped me for Merrill.

none2 2 years, 5 months ago

There is a big telemarketing scam that has been going on the last few months. A predictive dialer calls you and tells you they have a very important message about your credit card.

All my phones are on the Do-Not-Call Registry,but they still call. I called the Kansas Attorney General's office. They were already aware of this scam. It is based out of Canada, so I don't know if they can do much. It pisses me off how frequently they call. I've been called multiple times aday. The Do-Not-Call Registry is worthless if they cannot stop these crooks.

bearded_gnome 2 years, 5 months ago

yeah, some dude tried several times, quite diligently, to scam me.
problem is, he's in the Whitehouse and cain't do nuttin' about him.

he's still tryin' to scam a bunch of my fellow americans.

riverdrifter 2 years, 5 months ago

Got scammed by several back-flushin' rooster pheasants over the weekend and I have a damn good dog. God alone knows however many others skulked away. If pheasants played cards they'd cheat like crazy. Therefore, I love'em. Never been scammed that I know of, therefore I might have been. "This is a question of 'awareness', isn't it?" Yep, & therein hangs the tale.

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 5 months ago

TOB I just had to wipe coffee offa my monitor. If it fries it's all your fault.

tange 2 years, 5 months ago

This is a question of 'awareness', isn't it?

bolshavik_vw 2 years, 5 months ago

Yes George Bush from 2000 until 2008.

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 5 months ago

I've figured it out.... Bea is Snap's ex-wife.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 5 months ago

Millions of people got hope and short changed in 2008. How many of them will make the same mistake in 2012?

pace 2 years, 5 months ago

My mom could be very convincing, my Dad was a mark for a beautiful woman. He would ask "whats for supper?" she would say "I have a turkey in the freezer." Then we would dine out. But she didn't have a turkey in the freezer.
We had a preacher come around a lot for a variety of donations. He got caught with his three houses. My dad was embarrassed at the cash gone to no good end. His family was fed by the Salvation army duing the depression, so he had a soft spot. He continued to support the SA all his life, good work.

verity 2 years, 5 months ago

I just received an email from one of Muammar Gaddafi's wives pleading for help to escape his palace and his deadly abuse. In return I will get a large percentage of the money that she has managed to send out of the country. Apparently she's still holed up somewhere and doesn't know that he's dead.

Peaty 2 years, 5 months ago

Every morning we give my cat one 3 oz can of cat food. She's a pain in the butt till she gets it, meowing and making a fuss. She gets all the dry food she wants during the day but loves the one can she has. More often than not my wife or I give her a can early in the AM. She then trys to scam the other person into giving another can by carrying on. It's worked a few times, but we've gotten wise.

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 5 months ago

I've been on the internet since 1995. What do you think?

Paul R Getto 2 years, 5 months ago

Sam Brownback, but I think he got away with it (so far.)

Richard Heckler 2 years, 5 months ago

The medical insurance industry and the banking industry do it every day.....

kernal 2 years, 5 months ago

Ron, I was approached by a couple of people pulling that same scam out West years ago, but they had preprinted cards before the days of home computers, so they must have been doing pretty well with their "I can't work because I'm deaf" scam. That's a real insult to deaf people in this country.

jaywalker 2 years, 5 months ago

Yes, I've been scammed. I was leading a fiber optic team in La. and working 16 to 20 hour days. I was utterly exhausted. One night I woke at 3am to someone pounding on my door. Groggy as hell, I could hear him frantically asking "Mac" to open the door, it was "James." It just so happened my supervisor, Mac, had flown in a few days before and had stayed in that very room until that morning. He left and I switched to his room because it had a better working area.
So I opened the door and this guy I'd never seen asked where Mac was, he needed help because he was in fiber optics too and his truck had broke down on the interstate and he needed cash to pay the tow truck, they wouldn't take a check, blah blah blah. The only thing going through my mind was that I hoped he hadn't seen my truck keys and wouldn't ask me for a ride. Like I said, I was exhausted.
So I was more than happy to give him money to get him out and let me go back to bed. I gave him every dollar I had ($77) plus the change on my dresser, plus a smoke. He promised to pay me back that day.
The next morning as my men were gathering I called Mac back in Atlanta. He had no idea who the guy was, the company was; nothing. Needless to say I never heard from him again. He even kiped my lighter!
I still don't even care. I just wanted sleep.

somedude20 2 years, 5 months ago

Oh yes. "The Day After Tomorrow" got me as did "Kid A" (like I need to hear robots making love). I once paid $0.75 for a junky Monday newspaper oh and this one time my ex said to me "....go ahead and tell me, I won't get upset, I promise" and needless to say, I got scammed

Oh, and that punk from Tonganoxie who was using the guise of collecting money for Disabled Vets to line his own pockets got me

BMI 2 years, 5 months ago

Ron. I believe your encounter entirely, I've had something similar happen in KC. As for 'what deaf person doesn't know sign language, think again only longer.

Elrond 2 years, 5 months ago

Once had a tablesaw to sell so I listed it on Craigslist. Within a day got an email accepting my asking price. However, the user would send me a cashier check for more than the amount and asked me to cash it and send him the difference back (yeah right).

irvan moore 2 years, 5 months ago

pretty often by the city commission and their vision for lawrence

Gandalf 2 years, 5 months ago

Certainly I get scam emails and see hustlers on the the street but the only succesful scam artists are my grandkids!

rockchalk1977 2 years, 5 months ago

"Solyndra, the now-shuttered California company, had been a poster child of President Obama’s initiative to invest in clean energies and received the administration’s first energy loan of $535 million. But a year ago, in October 2010, the solar panel manufacturer was quickly running out of money and had warned the Energy Department it would need emergency cash to avoid having to shut down."

"The Obama administration urged officers of the struggling solar company Solyndra to postpone announcing planned layoffs until after the November 2010 midterm elections, newly released e-mails show."

gudpoynt 2 years, 5 months ago

Once this guy said that if I helped elect him Governor, that he'd protect education and KS jobs.

Then he proceeded to gut education and lay off all kinds of government employees, while creating only a handful of upper income jobs for out of state cronies.

I felt like such a fool to be had by such a tool. Never again.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 5 months ago

Besides my parents, wife, teachers, employers, and my priest? No. Not really.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 5 months ago

I'm a bit bummed out because I spent some time getting my postings exactly right, and then the thread wasn't online for very long.

This is part of my posting from the comment thread here: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2011/nov...

I was once at a restaurant, and a man came and put a pen on my table, along with a Xeroxed piece of paper. Just part of a page, though. The Xeroxed piece of paper explained what he was doing. He was deaf, and because of that he couldn't get a job. So, he was selling pens for one dollar. He walked all around the restaurant, putting pens and pieces of paper on everyone's table.

People were pulling out their wallets right and left, and he just walked around the restaurant again, picking up one dollar bills and the pieces of paper, so he could use them at the next restaurant. It looked like everyone needed a pen that day.

When he approached me, I used sign language and said this:

Do you know sign language?

He looked shocked, never came near me, and headed out quick with a whole lot of one dollar bills and pieces of paper. For sure, he knew I had just signed something to him, and he had no clue what I had just said.

A deaf person that doesn't know any sign language? Yeah, right.

A box of 100 pens costs how much, about $5? Xerox copies are $0.25, and you cut each into four pieces. And, there are a lot of restaurants along the highways, especially if you're on a long road trip.

P.S. I got a free pen out of the deal. But, the ink in it was green. (Not a joke!)

gphawk89 2 years, 5 months ago

About six months back, a desperate-looking young couple approached me at a gas station and asked me for $5 to help buy a bus ticket. I declined. Last week, the same couple approached me at the same gas station with the exact same story. I suggested that they should either change their story or try working in another area. They suggested that I should (can't be printed here). The "money for a bus ticket" scam is getting really old.

BABBOY 2 years, 5 months ago

I hate scams.

We get people calling here saying they are from our copy machine (they are not). They con artist calls on Monday and say they you are the service guys for the machine and they need your serial number for some reason. They then call back a few days later and identify the machine and tell the new person that the toner is ready. All copy machines I have purchased or leased come with a service plan where you get your toner for free or included in the plan. So, they are either trying to get your credit card or trying to sell you toner at an inflated price or something but it is not legit....

The other scam we get is is the phony long lost relative from Africa that is contacting you through some phony agency head in Nigeria who is trying to help cut strings and get you "your money." He tells you to shorten the process he needs you to wire him $5000 so he can send you $5,000,000 dollars. Amazingly, this scam has happened to my clients and I have had to actually talk them out of wiring their bank information to these crooks.....

Anyway, I have a low opinion of con artists no matter how creative they get.....

newmommiebrazil 2 years, 5 months ago

bought a laptop off craigslist. come to find out it was password protected. the guy i bought it from didn't tell me that and when i e-mailed him about it he never responded back. my boyfriend at the time who thought he was a computer savy wizard spent an entire afternoon trying to take the password off. finally i took it to best buy and they did it in 3 minutes.

CWGOKU 2 years, 5 months ago

pizzapete 2 years, 5 months ago

The city trying to make me rent a trash can...

rockchalker52 2 years, 5 months ago

Some Mizzou fans tried to tell me it was my fault they are quitters & had to leave. I told them that playing most of their games closer to the Orange Bowl didn't actually mean they were gonna get there.

prospector 2 years, 5 months ago

Yes, but I knew that staying anonymous was the smart thing to do.

My_Life 2 years, 5 months ago

A couple guys wearing dark suits with white shirts and ties riding bicycles on a 100 degree day in July. They were babbling some mindless dribble that I couldn't make out. Figured they were suffering from heat exhaustion so I soaked them down with the hose and sent them on their way. They were still babbling, only louder.

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 5 months ago

I spent the afternoon watching KU football on Saturday. It was too nice a day to be subjected to how that went down.

pizzapete 2 years, 5 months ago

We're going to find those weapons of mass destruction, it's been difficult because they're driving them around on trucks.

CLARKKENT 2 years, 5 months ago

ONLY MY GOVERNMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its_just_math 2 years, 5 months ago

300 million Americans got scammed three years ago.

Andini 2 years, 5 months ago

Yes. The World Company when they sold Sunflower Broadband. :-)

Bill Lee 2 years, 5 months ago

Yes, I've been married twice!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 5 months ago

The spousal unit told me if I let the dog out she would be nice to me.

grammaddy 2 years, 5 months ago

I still get e-mails from a Nigerian Prince trying to send me $58 million dollars, since all his immediate family died of either cancer or a horrible car wreck.I didn't realize there were so many in Nigeria with my last name.Id take it, but I think the people of Nigeria need it more.

Bill Lee 2 years, 5 months ago

Of course. I live in America in the 21st Century.

RoeDapple 2 years, 5 months ago

Every year (sometimes more than once!) I get approached in a large parking lot (think Dillons, Walmart, Target) by one of a pack of beggars wanting $5 for gas to get home to . . . wherever. Almost always between Thanksgiving and New Years day. It's getting so I recognize a few of them from previous years. I ask them if they have change for a $50 bill, they call me a fecal exit port, and we both go on our way.

RoeDapple 2 years, 5 months ago

I once got a call from my 'neighbor' telling me he was broke down in Texas and needed $425 to get his car out of the shop so he could get home. I told him it was a shame he hadn't told me a half hour earlier when he and I were visiting out in his yard.

RoeDapple 2 years, 5 months ago

By mail, by phone, by internet. Occasionally by door to door solicitation. Once in a while I fall for it. Hard to resist those Thinmints.

hitme 2 years, 5 months ago

That was fast... & a bit a-retentive, kiddo.

RoeDapple 2 years, 5 months ago

Yes. May they rest in piece(s)

hitme 2 years, 5 months ago

pure_republication 2 years, 5 months ago

All the time. From my grandaughter. Her's was hijacked and she is fighting to get it undercontrol.